Top Fashion Trends of 2016 Summer

Top Fashion Trends of 2016 Summer

.Stay on top of the top trends this summer

18
Top Fashion Trends of 2016 Summer
StyleWall Blog

It’s the beginning of July and you still have at least two months of summer to wear your cutest clothes for the warm weather (read: sweating to death while trying to stay attractive.) If you’ve spent your summer like I have, you have only had a few days to wear your own clothes instead of your work uniform and have spent hours mindlessly looking at all of the adorable trends the summer has brought. What is fantastic about these trends is that everyone can not only pull them off, but turn every head in the room as well. So whether you have every day off or one day off for the rest of the summer, here are the top 15 summer trends to definitely try out.

1. White Hot Style

Every year, you see that white is the new color that everyone must be wearing. Whether it’s for a weekend holiday or showing off a new tan, white is coming out in everything. The most prevalent styles include white all-in-ones such as rompers and jumpsuits, but are also appearing in dresses for every occasion. The biggest difference with this year from the past is that the entire garment is white, and usually of the same fabric. The trim is not contrasting, and there are no mixed fabrics, such as white cotton with lace.

How it’s worn: Besides the all-in-ones, the white is found on dresses and shirts. The shirts are typically loose and flowy—great for the warm temps up ahead.

Where to find it: You can find this trend anywhere from designers to department stores. Try Target and Macy’s for the everyday styles, or go online to Marc Jacobs or Banana Republic for some higher priced trends.

Like it, love it, hate it: I love white, mainly because it’s so clean and fresh, it instantly picks me up. This color can make you look professional, delicate, or bold. The color will compliment whatever skin tone you have and make you look tanner, which for some porcelain-inclined skin like mine, is a blessing from above.

2. Brushed, Bronzed and Silky Smooth Skin

Another classic trend being brought back for the summer is tan skin. The process is changing, the products are evolving, and now it’s very accessible for all to have nice, healthy tans. Long legs are a big feature this season, which are nicely showcased by a dark tan. Some still tan the old fashioned way—out lounging on a beach/ your backyard—but it can be very risky and not recommended, so wear lots of sunscreen.

Skin cancer, wrinkles, and loose skin are so not worth having a great tan in your twenties. The two ways to achieve that beach bum look is through self-tanner or a professional spray tan. I love to look good, but still stick to a strict budget, so I go with self-tanner lotion, and Jergens Extra Firming lotion is the best thing invented priced at around $5 (except the Taco Bell Snack Box, nothing beats that). The products by Jergens give the best color and very little streaking. And for those in the same boat who struggle with reflecting the sun because you are so pale, the color builds, and doesn’t overwhelm. Bonus: The firming lotion tightens the skin to reduce the appearance of cellulite!

How it’s done: This trend of healthy, tan skin can be done at home with a drugstore brand, such as Jergens, Neutrogena, etc. For those nervous about at- home methods and fine with spending the cash, head on over to a professional salon to choose your summer color. My tip is to look for a building process, either method, to not go from Kate Middleton to Kim Kardashian in a hot second.

Where to find it: Find an at-home method at any major supermarket or drugstore. The prices aren’t going to differ that much from location, and just make sure to get a well-known brand. Find the professional service by a Google search to see where it’s offered in your town, just make sure they have a wide range of colors to avoid a tone that won’t compliment you.

Like it, love it, hate it: This is a love for me too, because I cannot tan to save my life, while my mom can go outside to sneeze, and come in six shades darker. I can rock the translucent life, but when I want color, I reach for Jergens.

3. Liberate Your Shoulders

The styles of how to show a little peek at your shoulders has grown immensely. The hot trends this season are skinny halter straps with a high neckline, cold-shoulder drops, and even lower off the shoulder styles. All occasions, all fabrics, and all garments may feature this style. The skinny strap halter was originally found in sports or swimwear but has now evolved to loungewear and everyday tops.

How it’s done: This is done mainly in dresses or shirts, and can feature the three main styles above. The cold shoulder usually features ruffles under the sleeves, or elongate the arms and create lots of movement with the fabric. If your top has a big focus on the upper chest/ shoulder area, wear closer fitting bottoms. The skinny strap halter can be worn with any bottoms. Minimal jewelry is recommended.

Where to find it: This style is mainly aimed at a younger crowd, so find stores that may specialize in that department. H&M and Forever 21 will cater to these trends, as well as a few options from Target and Express.

Like it, love it, hate it: I like this style, but it’s not my favorite. I don’t have a very pronounced collar bone, and sometimes feel that my upper torso area is too plain because of no definition when exposed. A small horizontal plate necklace is a good solution for this. The style is also perfect for when you barely can make it outside it’s so warm.

4. Mesh It Up

This trend has been seen in swimsuits to cover ups to a dress worn on a night-out. The mesh can feature wider squares or be more tightly woven to create different effects and be more loose or form fitting. This season is sticking with neutrals for the styles—mainly white and black—but can be explored in certain garments. This trend is one long-awaited and achieves that shock and awe look.

How it’s done: The mesh look will be one to be worn with other simple garments. The look itself is very bold and pairing it with an equally confident look can overwhelm your body. Don’t mix patterns and if needed, wear sheer layers to still showcase the look. The easiest way to pull off this look is getting a comfortable mesh cover-up to wear at the beach.

Where to find it: You can find simple and starter garments for the trend at stores such as Target and TJ Maxx. You can find more daring styles at local boutiques and online at ASOS.

Like it, love it, hate it: I can go with this trend, but I probably won’t wear it personally. My best friend has already been experimenting with this style for years and always makes people’s jaw drops when the new innovation is revealed. This is definitely a style that will make you the talk of the town.

5. Curly-Q Your ‘Do

Natural hair is the way to go this summer, especially if you have curls. Beach waves are always a classic but ringlets are coming into play with a little frizz. Perfect hair is not looked at this summer, instead you can just go to town right out of the shower. No matter what your hair is, if it’s got texture and waves, you’re definitely gonna be a babe.

How it’s done: You can just hop out of the shower and let it naturally dry if you’re blessed with curls. So curly hair girls—rejoice! This is your summer.

Like it, love it, hate it: I’m a naturally curly haired girl. But not in the cute, “oh you have so many ringlets, like Shirley Temple!” way, but in the half curls, have straight/wavy way. Literally, half of my head is curly, the other half not. But I love curly hair, and am excited to see more girls rocking a product-free hairdo.

6. Black Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo styles are coming back in a big way. With cutouts accenting different areas, you’re sure to find a look for you. Black is the main color being used for this look because of its simplicity, making you the main feature. The fabrics can vary in finish, but stay plain in the decoration. Having small cut outs to fit to your body can create the perfect go-to outfit to highlight your individuality and creativity.

How it’s done: These simple styles are showcasing your body, so the accessories and other garment pairings should follow suit. Match with other neutrals, and try out an all black outfit if you just find a top you like. The point of this trend is about using clothes for people to notice you and everything you offer, not just looking at the name that’s on the label.

Where to find it: This is another younger style, so stores that have a young demographic are where the garments will be found. ASOS online, Express, H&M, and Lulus.com are good places to start.

Like it, love it, hate it: Love, love, love this trend. This is a new trend in the apparel industry with using clothes for the wearer to truly focus on themselves. Celebrities can tell photographers who they’re wearing, all that your photographs will show is what you’re wearing. So take advantage and find clothes that showcase who you are and make you feel beautiful, no matter the brand or cost.

7. 90’s Comeback

NSYNC said “bye, bye, bye” but we’re saying “hello, it’s me” to 90s fashion. Denim on denim, scrunchies, and wearing lingerie styled outfits for everyday are shown everywhere. From LA street style to campus comfort, this trend has got you covered. No styles, even jelly sandals, are being left behind, so dig deep in your closet and revive your long forgotten outfits.

How it’s done: Look up a trend, whether it be the scrunchie hairdo or wearing a denim jacket with jeans, and see what clothes you have or can be found. This trend is a revival, as they are not being changed much from before, so go ahead and wear that chunky sandal from 20 years ago, you won’t regret it (much).

Where to find it: If you or your sibling threw away these styles after Y2K, you can head almost anywhere. Look for high end designers or budget clothing stores, such as Target. Goodwill is also a place to check out, as they will have one-of-a-kind pieces, or any vintage store in your town. ASOS and your other fav online retail stores may carry a few nice pieces, but will not cater fully to the trend.

Like it, love it, hate it: I was a baby during the nineties, so I wasn’t wearing these trends, but I distinctly remember my sister wearing them, and I’m definitely interested to see how they will adapt to the modern world. Some of these trends have to have an overhaul to be put on my body, but I’m always down for a scrunchie.

8. Line Your Nail, Bottoms- Up

Nails are your window for expression, no matter your regulated uniform rules (usually). This new summer trend for nails is to reverse the French tip style. It’s a really good trend for those who chew on your nails as they can elongate the nail,. It’s a brand new look only seen on the runway so far, so be that fashion leader and blaze your own trail of colors.

How it’s done: You paint your nails a plain color to hide your natural French tip, and then line out your cuticle in a contrasting color. This look creates a upside down French tip.

Where to find it: Any color will do, but match dark colors with darker colors and soft pastels with cooler tones. Staying in the same area on the color wheel in brightness will make the look more polished, and not sloppy.

Like it, love it, hate it: When done right, I really like this trend. I’m not on board with contrasting colors, as white with red can just make you look like your bleeding, but with similar colors, they definitely add a new factor to nail design.

9. Day Dream in Orange Cream

Love going to the ice cream store or flagging down an ice cream truck and seeing all of the pretty, bright colors? Those colors are now your Summer 2016 inspiration—nails, accessories, or clothes. Orange Creamcicle is the #1 new color of the season being worn, but other pastels and “ice cream” colors are being used in designer clothing.

How it’s done: This high fashion trend can be made into everyday by using moderation. The color is done on a plain garment, as the brightness makes it stand out enough. Feel free to mix and match colors, as long as they are both pastels.

Where to find it: Finding these colors online is your best bet, it is a big trend for the summer, but some stores have yet to complete the turn-around of producing garments from seeing them on the runway. Lulus.com is my go-to place as they are constantly designing. Otherwise, wait a couple of weeks for them to hit stores, or if you want to shell out the cash, hit up the designers you like.

Like it, love it, hate it: I’m always down for pastels, and even though orange has never really been included in my color wheel, I’ll always try new things—so this trend gets a like rating.

10. Gomez or Go Home

Okay, real talk, Selena Gomez has been my #1 since Barney. Growing up, I followed her Disney career and modeled every haircut and half of my closet after her (the other half was all Disney Princess inspired). But now, she’s gained international attention. She herself has become a fashion icon for the summer, and also showcases great ways to wear other trends of the season. Her everyday style shows how you can take runway styles to everyday looks.

How it’s done: Looking at her Instagram or seeing her on tour or in the tabloids are how you can see her style. Adapt it by finding patterns in her choices and seeing what you like best. Her casual “I don’t care” attitude in her photos gives you the vibe that she just lives life to make her happy, and she’s always glamorous even in sweats. This attitude pulls off any outfit you choose to wear that day, because you’re beautiful even at your worst.

Where to find it: Now Selena wears high end brands, which can waste your bank account in one or two purchases, so look at what styles you like, and then head to your favorite stores for adaptations. A lot of them will be found at Express, H&M, and Forever 21, while a few others will be Zara. If you don’t have these places in town, check out local boutiques or online.

So there you have it, the top trends of the season, with plenty of time to play. Try one or all of them and see where it goes! Wear light pastels or rock a Canadian Tuxedo, whatever you’ll be wearing, you will look as fabulous as ever.