My Top 8 Driving Pet Peeves

My Top 8 Driving Pet Peeves

And everything you can do to avoid them.

49
My Top 8 Driving Pet Peeves
kratomblast.com

I'll be the first one to admit that I suffer from serious road-rage. It doesn't hit me all of the time, but there are always a few set things that people can do to set it off. That being said, I think most of the things on this list are enough to push even the most levelheaded folks into a tizzy. Without further adieu, here's my personal list of driving pet peeves:

1. Use your blinker.

You would think that, in order to prevent accidents and keep people safer on the roads, car manufacturers would install some cool safety feature(s) on their vehicles. Stuff like cushioning devices for collisions, extra sensors for car performance, windshield wipers for removing bug gunk and rain, a switch for showing people what direction you might be turning, . . . wait. You say they already have things like that? All of these things?! Even the blinker for showing your turning intentions?!? Seriously folks, it ain't that hard to flip the switch down/up for your left/right turn. It literally takes a fraction of second to activate and, unless its broken, will deactivate itself after the turn. Use. Your. Blinker.

2. Drive the speed limit (or faster).

Okay; this one could get a pass under certain circumstances. Is it raining? Are you new to the roadways? Is there some kind of hazard littering your lane? Cool. Be safe, do your thing, and go however comfortable you feel going. If you answered no to all of the above questions and don't have any other legitimate excuse as to why you are going ten miles per hour under the speed limit, what in the world are you doing? Seriously. The speed limit set for the road you're on is carefully considered and engineered to be safe. You won't fly off the road rounding that curve under normal conditions at the posted speed.

3. Go the proper direction in the parking lot.

You know what I'm talking about. If you can't tell which direction you should be going down a parking lot aisle in by the arrows on the pavement, maybe you can tell by the way the parking spaces are staggered. They are intentionally designed to be easier to get into if you're going the right way. Huh. Imagine that. Don't swing down and around the wrong way and then block my path for an extra minute or two because your car couldn't actually manage the turn. Oh, and another thing...

4. DON'T TAKE MY PARKING PLACE!11!1!!11!!1!!

Admittedly, this has only happened to me once in the recent post. That being said, if you have any idea of how bad the parking situation is at UAH right now, you most certainly understand my rage. If someone is patiently waiting for a person to back out of a parking spot 1) because it's the courteous thing to do and 2) they want the spot because there's literally no other spots to be found in the immediate vicinity, don't even think about taking that spot. You didn't get to it first. That person has been struggling just as long as you have or maybe even longer. Don't be an asshole and swoop into it. Talk about causing roadrage? That'll cause some serious roadrage.

5. Get off my bumper.

I don't drive slow. Ask anyone who has ever ridden with me for an extended amount of time. Go on. I'll wait. I'm at least five mph over the speed limit at any given time; here in the Huntsvegas, I follow cops and cars alike cruising around at ten or more above the speed limit. So, why would you be following me so close? If you're in that much of a hurry, go around me. Are you trying to push me up the road at what you deem a more acceptable pace? Good luck. If anything, that'll just make me go slower. Ask the people who ride my tail on the interstate; when they try to go around me, there's a solid chance I speed up and block them in using the car(s) beside me. God forbid I decide to get a truck one day and start brake-checking people... (Disclaimer: I wouldn't actually do it, but can you imagine how people would mess themselves?)

6. Use the merge lane.

This one may not be as big of a deal to people, but I can't stand it. I have zero tolerance for people who don't understand that a merging lane is used to merge into traffic. Novel concept, right? There are instances when a merge lane isn't clearly laid out, or the lane is hidden due to certain terrain. I completely understand that, and I can't really get mad at those times. However, when the lane is clearly visible or is marked via a road sign that tells you it's there and not to stop, YOU BETTER NOT STOP. I can see the lane/ the sign that tells me the lane is there. It's not obstructed in any way, shape, or form. You are endangering me and the people around us by not paying attention. Also, while we're kinda on the subject of lane changes...

7. Watch where you're merging to.

I understand most cars have some kind of blind-spot when using the rearview mirror. That is not a good excuse for cutting people off or when you decide to switch lanes. Do not just assume that because you can't see anyone and you have your blinker on that it's a-okay to switch lanes. Cut your head enough to remove the blind-spot from the equation. Make sure you have enough room to switch lanes, too. If there's even a sliver of doubt in your mind, don't ignore it. Be absolutely sure of every move you make on the road; all the safety in the world is worth it.

8. Do not cut across the all lanes of traffic to meet your turn.

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. There is literally no reason for you to decide at the last possible second that your exit is coming up in 500 feet and you need to cut off everyone in all three lanes of traffic. You should have some kind of idea about where you are going; that means you should have an idea of where your turn is going to be. It's your job to be paying attention and watching markers to see where the turn is. If you have a passenger, they can help you.

The big takeaway?

Most of driving is common sense, people; which, to be fair, that might explain why some people have so much trouble with it. Be safe, follow the rules, and use your noggin. It's what it's there for.

Until next time.