Top 8 Things I Ate This Summer

Top 8 Things I Ate This Summer

"The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating." --John Walters

7
Top 8 Things I Ate This Summer
Elena Gonzalez

There are a lot of things I miss when I’m away at school August through May, but I would have to say the thing I miss most is the never ending supply of new food finds (sorry, Mom). I think I always take it for granted, too. I’m out of California for nine-and-a-half months out of the year and that could make a girl forget what she’s missing. This summer I especially realized what I leave behind every August when I head off to school. I am not the first person to say this and I definitely will not be the last: California…Northern California specifically has some of the best food. Just thinking about it all makes me want to drive to one of the many phenomenal places in the Bay Area and grab something to eat. I have always been proud to be a Californian, but this summer I really grew to appreciate all this state has to offer (to my tummy). With this all being said, I have eaten quite a number of things this summer and have constructed a list of just some of my favorites--believe me, this doesn't do the Bay Area justice.

San Francisco, CA. Mr. Holmes Bakehouse — blackberry jam filled donut, rasberry custard filled donut.

You guys. These donuts are unlike any other. Fried dough, filled generously with an assortment of jellies and custards and coated with sugar. These are the donuts coffee dreams of at night. The shop is known for their creation of a cruffin which is a mix between a croissant and a muffin, then usually topped with a custard and covered in sugar, but I unfortunately arrived at the shop much too close to closing and was left with few options. But to my surprise the donuts that were left were a big hit. Advice: definitely go in the morning and snag one of those cruffins (or the donuts) before they are all gone!

Palo Alto, CA Lemonade — Guava limeade, cucumber mint lemonade

Ah this SoCal based cafe has found it’s way to the Bay Area. Though the food is super trendy and pretty tasty, what keeps me coming back is the lemonade's (surprise, surprise with a name like that). Particularly my favorites are the guava limeade and the cucumber mint lemonade. Both are delicious. I recommend going for one of their many salads and a sandwich for lunch or trying their truffle mac n cheese and something else from their hot plates for dinner. But don’t forget the lemonade!

Santa Cruz, CA. Pono Hawaiian Grill — Poke bowls

Poke bowls have recently grown in popularity and while I am still not completely sure how to pronounce it, I am very into this trend. I love raw fish, I love Hawaiian style food, and I love white rice so poke is the perfect thing for me. I especially liked the poke bowls at Pono. Their large and diverse menu is full of Hawaiian style favorites and has a long list of different poke options. You can get it as an appetizer, in a bowl, or as a wrap. Personally, I went for the bowl and chose a spicy ahi tuna poke. One of my favorite parts of the bowl was the side of seaweed salad that was served atop it. Highly recommend if you're looking for a (somewhat) light lunch and find yourself in the downtown Santa Cruz area.

Mountain View, CA. Mahalo Bowl — Hawaiian Acai Bowl

Going along with bowls, a favorite breakfast/light lunch/snack I have is acai bowls. Basically, this is a thick smoothie that usually includes a variation of acai and different berries. I like this because of how tasty it is and how healthy it is, too. Mahalo Bowl has been my favorite for awhile and one of the big reasons I like it so much is because of the granola they use. My favorite bowl is the Hawaiian one which is blended with macadamia nut milk and topped with bananas, strawberries, and (of course) granola. The regular size is usually a good snack or light meal, but if you're looking to be full for longer than a couple hours I would go for a large.

Sausalito, CA. Copita — Chicken Enchiladas, Chips and Salsa

One of my most recent food finds required me to travel across the Golden Gate and if you know me, you know I don't do long bridges very well, but the journey was definitely worth it. This little eatery calls itself a tequileria and I guess for good reason. They even use empty tequila bottles to serve water. I started my meal with chips and salsa which is served with two seasonal salsas. The chips were perfectly crunchy and the salsa options were perfect. One was sweeter and had a similar taste to mole sauce and the other was a salsa verde which was much more acidic. My dad ordered the enchiladas which ended up being the best choice—soft, homemade corn tortillas smothered in a mole sauce and topped with chopped jicama for that little bit of crunch and texture—worth the trip over the bridge.

Sausalito, CA. Lappert’s Ice Cream — Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream with dark chocolate fudge

If you do find yourself over the Golden Gate and in the mood for some ice cream, I recommend Lappert’s. I came across this place kind of unintentionally. Everyone was walking around with cups and cones reading “Lappert’s Ice Cream” and when I came across the shop the line was out the door. When I see a line that long I can’t help but think “it must be good” (it was). The line is a little crazy and unorganized so try and decide what you want before it get’s to be your turn to order. Go with your gut—I doubt it will disappoint.

San Francisco, CA. Smitten — Lavender Ice Cream

More ice cream! Smitten actually has multiple locations, but they started in The City. Their flavors rotate so I can’t promise that the Lavender ice cream is still available but if it is try it! This ice cream is super smooth and creamy, made with milk from Strauss Creamery. They make your ice cream to order. Honeslty, there’s no more to say you just need to try it for yourself!

San Francisco, CA. El Porteño — Ham and Cheese Empanada

Another place I came across unintentionally, this little stand can be found in the ferry building. Though a ham and cheese empanada might sound pretty simple, this empanada does ham and cheese a little differently. Let me clarify: the ham is prosciutto and the cheese is Fontina. Not your ordinary ham and cheese. Their menu also includes daily special empanadas as well as sweet empanadas (I recommend the banana y dulce de leche empanada). If you find yourself in the ferry building and needing a snack, this should definitely be your stop.

My tummy is grumbling.

Now set forth and eat to your heart’s (and stomach’s) content.