The Top 6 Red Dirt Country Artists

The Top 6 Red Dirt Country Artists

These artists will open you up to the Red Dirt genre and get you hooked.

1101
The Top 6 Red Dirt Country Artists

Red Dirt music will always have a special place in my heart. I remember the first time I went to a red dirt concert and absolutely fell in love. I had finally found new music I could relate to. I've always been made fun of for listening to old country, but now I've found music with the same idea and the same meaning behind it, but the song was actually written last week. Red Dirt artists also put in more work than any other musician I can think of. They not only have the typical struggle of getting their name out there, but they're also swimming against the current playing music that isn't "radio material." Country music has been taken over by teenage city girls who are in love with Luke Bryan. Therefore true country isn't around much anymore. If you are one of the final few people out there who want real country, here are six Red Dirt artists you need to look into.

6. Adam Fears

Adam Fears sings the type of music I like to listen to while hanging out at the lake. Take note, I did not say partying at the lake, but just relaxing. He has a very pretty voice and really good music behind it. His twist on the typical country song makes it more exciting to listen to because it doesn't sound like every other song about summer love. He has the right sound that I think he could top country charts sometime soon. Keep your eyes peeled for him!

5. Stoney LaRue

I still haven't had the pleasure of seeing Stoney LaRue in concert but I've had tickets on two different occasions. The only thing I can say about his music is that it makes me want to dance and always makes me go way too fast. Check out the song "Sirens" and I guarantee you will catch yourself going 80 mph. He just has really catchy upbeat music and that's what makes him one of my favorite artists.

4. Casey Donahew Band

Casey Donahew Band produces all their music independently and have managed to top the texas chart numerous times. They have developed greatly since they first started recording music. Casey Donahew even says himself that he has grown as a writer, but still has room for improvement. It is fun to me to listen to all of their albums on shuffle and point out which songs are older and which on on their newest album. Don't get me wrong, their all great, but the newer ones have a very distinct sound to them. Check them out.

3. Wade Bowen

Wade Bowen has a very unique style of music. When he sings, he pulls emotions out of you that you didn't even know you had. He worked really hard, independently releasing his first couple albums and debating not carrying on with a music career after graduating college. Thankfully, he decided to stick with it, and now has one of the best voices in country music. He has an extremely deep voice that mellows out everything he sings and gives his music a very different feel, compared to most country. I absolutely adore him and recommend listening to "Mood Ring" before any of his other songs. You will be hooked.

2. Aaron Watson

Aaron Watson released his 12th album, "The Underdog" in February 2015. After this release of his first single off this album, "Getaway Tuck," he has stepped up from being the underdog, getting very popular outside the Texas scene. I really support Aaron Watson due to his passion to stay true to who he is. It took 12 albums but he made it with perserverance and a lot of hard work. He has been big in Texas for a long time and that's okay with him, as he states in "Fencepost." He says "I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee."

1. Cody Johnson

Cody Johnson is by far my favorite Red Dirt performer. He puts on the best live show of anybody I've seen in a long time. One of the best things about CoJo is that he can relate to anybody in the crowd. He melts the girls hearts when he sings "Give a Cowboy a Kiss," but gets every mans' attention when he breaks out "I Don't Care About You." He also has some really fun ones that nobody can resist singing along to, such as, "Bottle It Up" Here is the link to Cody's tour dates, so you can go check him out yourself. You wont regret it. http://thecodyjohnsonband.com/tour.php