Top 5 Most Popular Christmas Movies

Top 5 Most Popular Christmas Movies

There is nothing like curling up in blankets and watching a good Christmas movie.

90
Top 5 Most Popular Christmas Movies

If you were to ask me what my favorite season was, I would have to say winter. Most people will say summer or fall, but I´ve always had a deep love for the colder months. Waking up to a town covered in a thick sheet of pure snow is such a relaxing feeling to me, especially when it means I get to stay home. When this happens, I´ll put my holiday shopping frenzy on hold, slip into my comfiest pajamas, make myself some hot chocolate with french vanilla creamer (truly the best thing ever created), and watch hours upon hours of Christmas movies.

Being the curious kid I am, I wanted to know what the most popular Christmas movies were. I asked around my town and on Facebook to get some answers and, sure enough, I did. Here is my countdown of the top 5 most popular Christmas movies.

1. "The Grinch"

Jim Carey stars as the Grinch in this live-action version of the Christmas classic, ´How The Grinch Stole Christmas´. I think almost everyone can agree with me that, as a child, this movie was terrifying. The Grinch just looked so damn creepy. But as I grew up, I realized I have never related more to a character than I do the Grinch. ¨Am I eating just because I´m bored?¨

2. "The Nightmare Before Christmas"

Directed by the infamous Tim Burton, The Nightmare Before Christmas is an amazing, slightly creepy stop-motion film where my two favorite holidays, Halloween and Christmas, collide. Ultimately, this is my favorite Christmas/winter movie of all time; It never fails to make me smile. Seriously, if you haven´t seen this movie, you are missing out.

3. "Home Alone"

In the words of my friend, Brooke, a ¨true cinematic masterpiece¨. Home Alone is a movie made in 1990 about a boy who´s parents accidentally left him behind when going on vacation to Paris. As a kid, I always wished this would happen to me. Having a whole house to myself to jump on beds, eat pizza, and have no parents telling me what to do? A rebellious 8 year old´s dream.

4. "The Polar Express"

The Polar Express is a movie from the early 2000´s about a boy who takes a wild train ride to the North Pole, hoping to find Santa. The art in this film is absolutely breathtaking and the message of the story is really cute. I never got to watch this movie too much when I was younger because my little sister was so petrified of it. She couldn´t even stand to hear the name. Regardless, this movie is truly wholesome.

Honorable Mention:

It didn't quite make the top 5, but "A Christmas Story" has such an interesting mix of opinions that I HAD to mention it. All Ralphie wants for Christmas is a Red Ryder air rifle, but he is struggling through the holiday season as it is. With this movie, it´s either that you absolutely love it or that you absolutely hate it; There is no inbetween. If you´re looking for a movie to cuddle up to on Christmas day, this is it.

1. "Elf"

A Christmas classic we all know and love, Elf earns the number one spot on this list. Will Ferrell plays Buddy, an elf on a mission to find his real dad after learning he is not really an elf. This movie is incredibly hilarious and heart-warming, so it´s not hard to see why about one third of people I asked eagerly answered with Elf. I just wish I had the stomach to handle Buddy´s sugary spaghetti breakfast.

That concludes my list of the top 5 most popular Christmas movies. What is your favorite holiday movie? Happy holidays, everyone!