Top 5 NFL MVP Candidates

Top 5 NFL MVP Candidates

Is it ever to early to talk MVP?

12
Top 5 NFL MVP Candidates

Its here! Football is officially back and the NFL regular season is under way. And the defending league MVP started this new year exactly how he ended the last one, a heartbreaking loss to Denver. As Graham Gano was iced in the final seconds of the fourth quarter and missed a 50 yard field goal try, resulting in a 21-20 win for the Denver Broncos. Not only do the Panthers match their loss total from the regular season last year, but Trevor Siemian gets his first NFL win in the Thursday night opener. While he did play well for his first career NFL start, he will not be involved in this conversation. One of the most fun topics to discuss throughout the regular season; Who will be the MVP?

5. Antonio BrownSince 2005, there has only been three players to win the MVP that did not play the quarterback position. Those players; Adrian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Shaun Alexander, obviously all running backs. While it has been seemingly impossible for a receiver to win the award, Antonio Brown is more than capable of being the outcast. Brown is arguably the most dynamic receiver talent in the league, and is remarkably consistent on a week in and week out basis. He finished last year with 10 touchdowns and 1,834 yards, all while having to deal with Michael Vick not physically being able to throw him the ball for three and a half games. He was second in the league in targets last year with a monster 195, which shows how much this extremely high powered offense leans on Brown for success. With a healthy Big Ben Roethlisberger and no Martavis Bryant, Brown could be in position for one of the most remarkable seasons a receiver has ever had. He has a legitimate chance to be the first 2,000 yard receiver in NFL history, and is almost a guarantee to catch 10 or more touchdowns. If all goes right for the Steelers and AB, there is a world where he takes home the MVP.

4. Tom Brady

Yes he is suspended for the first four games of the season. Yes he is 39 years old. Yes the balls will be inflated correctly. But until Tom proves to the rest of the world that he's ready to slow down and quit being arguably the greatest quarterback of all time, I refuse to discredit him in any way. There is a world where Brady comes back from his suspension and goes 12-0. While not the most likely scenario, I'm not putting it past him. Also this year we will have angry Brady once again. Last year Brady wasn't a happy camper with being deemed a cheater the entire year and having deflategate draped over the season. This resulted in Brady tearing through the rest of the league and tying for second in the MVP race with Carson Palmer. He posted 3,770 yards and 36 touchdowns and only seven interceptions, while completing 64% of his passes. Coming back from a four game suspension, will have angry Tom ready to start right where he left off last season. Don't be shocked if Brady takes home the award when its all said and done.

3. Cam Newton

Coming into this new season, Cam has 6/1 Vegas odds to repeat as MVP, and rightfully so. While leading the Panthers to a 15-1 regular season record and all the way to the Super Bowl, Cam was operating on another level. He passed for 3,837 yards and 35 touchdowns to go along with 636 yards and another 10 touchdowns on the ground. He also recorded an NFL record one million dabs. He was the most polarizing player in the league last year and is now the new face of the league. He now has a chance to avenge his Super Bowl loss,where he so famously pouted in the post game press conference, where he clearly felt the game had gotten away from him. He has his number one receiver is back in Kelvin Benjamin who was seen to be a major part of the game plan in the season opener. With one of the best defenses in the league combined with Cam, Jonathan Stewart, Kelvin Benjamin and the rest of this high powered offense, he has a great chance of repeating as MVP and continuing his dominance of the league.

2. Aaron RodgersRodgers is simply the best quarterback talent in the league and there isn't much debate. His cannon arm and great footwork are just a few of the things that make him so elite in today's NFL. Rodgers is hoping for a bounce back year as last year was very underwhelming compared to his usual superstar play. He finished the year with 3,821 yards and 31 touchdowns while completing 60% of his passes. Yes that is a down year for Aaron Rodgers. Jordy Nelson's absence combined with the awful play of Eddie Lacy played a giant role in the lack of effectiveness of the Packer offense. This however, is a new year. Rodgers is back with the Packers offense at full strength and is poised for a bounce back. You can expect Rodgers to be at the top of the MVP conversation with the Packers contending to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. A 40 touchdown 4,500 yard season is a very realistic expectation for Rodgers.

1. Russel Wilson

Wilson is one of the most uniquely elite talents in the league. His ability to make a play when there is absolute chaos in the backfield is like none other. When Wilson disappears into a collapsed pocket and he emerges from the pile to roll out and make a pass for a first down, your jaw drops. He has the ability to make a play that makes you say "wow" at any moment. In the past, the Seahawks have been a run first offense that heavily leaned on Marshawn Lynch. Last season was injury plagued for Lynch which caused the Seahawks to change the focus of their offense to Wilson, and Russ showed out. He had never thrown for more than 3,600 yards in his career before, last year he threw for 4,024. He had never thrown for more than 26 touchdowns before, last year he threw 34. And if that isn't enough, he has only had one season where he threw 10 or more interceptions, and it was his rookie year. Wilson's arm and instinct are now what makes the Seattle offense tick. This will be the first full season in which Russ will be fully let loose from the shackles of Marshawn Lynch holding back his greatness. Wilson is my top candidate to take home the NFL MVP this season as we will see a Seahawks offense that will have no problem letting Russ sling it as many times a game as he pleases. His talent cannot be ignored.

Whether it is Cam, Brady, Brown, Russ, Rodgers, or a player not mentioned, this season is set up to be a special one. The NFL is officially back bringing the best talent in the world for all to see. Sitting down on Sundays waiting to see Cam's next dance move, Brady's next devious plot, or if Brown will dive genitals first into another goal post makes for the best time of year. Is it ever to early to talk MVP?