Top 5 Friendship Ruining Board Games

Top 5 Friendship Ruining Board Games

Friends don't screw over other friends, right?

708
Top 5 Friendship Ruining Board Games
Deviant Art

With finals just around the corner, the weekends are pretty much on lock down. Boozing is 100 percent out of the question, so the next question should be “with the small amount of free time I have, what should I do?” Well, let me introduce you to five effective methods used to test how real your friends you may or may not be. That’s right, I’m talking about some good old-fashioned board games. If you didn’t have a childhood, these particular board games have historically caused an unnecessary amount of rage, arguments, and sometimes even fights.

1. Settlers of Catan

Although a pretty innocent looking game at first, it is anything but. Revolving around the collection and usage of four core resources the map consists of, the issue comes in when using said resources. Resources can be used to build towards victory, they can be blocked from being obtained, and they can be stolen via the infamous knight. This game turns even the most civilized people into apes. Winning is a double-edged sword due to the fact that yes, you won, but at the cost of everyone hating you.

2. Monopoly

One of the most, if not the most classic, board games in existence. It’s been tearing down the walls of friendship since 1935. Whether it’s a rage filled board flip due to landing on Boardwalk or Park Place or an intense argument over suspected collusion, this game rarely ends well. You can either work together with others or go your own way as a lone wolf. In the end, someone always ends up burned.

3. Risk

A game that your parents probably played, "Risk" has been ripping people apart for generations. It seems simple: take over continent after continent until the whole world is under your control. The problems arise when you have to eventually crush everyone like bugs under your iron fist regime. Treaties are made here and there, but they’re only temporary. Someone ends up breaking them, which almost always ends up poorly.

4. Uno

This one might seem not that bad, but there’s one card that always ends up screwing someone over. That would be the draw four card. Not only does the next player get four more cards added to their hand, but has to skip their turn as well. On top of that, tensions grow throughout the game as draw two cards are played along with skip next turn cards, which doesn’t make it much better. The draw four is only the icing on the cake that is the imminent rage quit.

5. Sorry!

Simply by looking at the title of this game, you can already tell someone’s night is about to be ruined. The thing is, it’s actually a pretty good time. It’s all fun and games until your pawn gets moved back to the start by someone you thought you were friends with. What’s even worse is that nine times out of ten, they’ll sarcastically say “sorry” as if they were legitimately concerned with your feelings.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. These games are not for the faint of heart. Hopefully with a few less friends in your life, you’ll have plenty more time to study for finals.