16 Best Vegan Recipe Blogs And Websites

16 Best Vegan Recipe Blogs And Websites

From the college student to the future chef, and from the health fanatic to the indulgent foodie.

2116
16 Best Vegan Recipe Blogs And Websites

I never loved food until I became vegan. I always relied on other people to make food, but when I became vegan, I had to find my own replacements. It was intimidating at first, but as I got into it, it was really enjoyable and made for many nights of sisterly bonding. However, you need to learn the basics before you reach the fun part. Here are 16 websites to help you begin.

1. Is It Vegan?

This app is useful for new and old vegans, but I fear newer vegans will miss the experience of meticulously reading through every single ingredient on every item they purchase. I firmly believe the skill would somehow come in handy during the inevitable apocalypse, and I always felt proud that only we vegans would survive. However, it looks like we might lose that skill because this app almost makes being vegan too easy. All you have to do is scan the item and the app tells you whether or not it’s vegan. That’s it. I’m baffled by its simplicity, and I’m admittedly a little resentful about the time when the “V” label wasn’t commonplace and I squinted at labels.

2. Supercook

Supercook isn’t specifically vegan, but you can specify a meat, dairy and egg free diet. It’s extremely simple: you put in the ingredients you currently have in your kitchen, and then the website gives you a bunch of recipes to make out of those ingredients. This website is great if you’re not sure what you want for dinner or if you’re limited on ingredients.

3. The Vegan Zombie

Set during the Zombie Apocalypse, this youtube cooking series shows you how to make delicious vegan food and protect yourself from zombies. Built around a film idea where infection resilient vegans survive the zombie apocalypse, it’s great for visual learners who prefer watching how to prepare food. It’s useful for making delicious food now, but take notes because, during the actual apocalypse, the zombies will have already eaten all the meat (and the meat eaters).

4. Minimalist Baker

All recipes on Minimalist Baker either use 10 ingredients or less, one bowl or take 30 minutes or less to make; so it’s great for finding relatively simple recipes. The blog is run by a husband and wife, and their recipes have gradually become much more vegan. I’ll admit, some of the ingredients they use don’t always seem very “minimal” to the average person, but I’ve never had trouble finding easy replacements. I’ve made a few of their recipes, including the vegan pumpkin cheesecake, and I can attest to the deliciousness.

5. Chocolate Covered Katie

As you can tell by her name, Chocolate Covered Katie is obsessed with chocolate. Her recipes are great for any chocolate loving vegan, much like myself, but they’re also good for you! Her recipes are categorized between Breakfast and Dinner and Healthy Desserts. Her healthy desserts range from fudge balls, pies and brownies, to a chocolate chip cookie deep dish pie made with white beans. She’s been featured on the Today Show and CNN, and her cookbook was a best seller on Amazon. I’ve made her oreo milkshake, but I am intrigued by her nacho cheese doritos hummus.

6. Blissful Basil

Another blogger, Blissful Basil’s recipes use unprocessed “wholesome foods.” Over the years, she has switched from vegetarianism to veganism, but her blog is carefully organized and labeled. She has recipes for everything, including smoothies, desserts, sauces, raw vegan and gluten free. She has a Certificate for Plant-based nutrition from T. Colin Campbell School of Nutrition Studies, so she knows what she’s talking about.

7. Eggless Cooking

This one isn’t completely vegan either, but eggs are always the hardest ingredient to substitute. For their recipes, simply substitute almond or soy milk for dairy milk, and use vegan butter or earth balance, and you’re ready to go! If you love yourself at all, try the red velvet cake with frosting made with unsweetened almond milk, powdered sugar, almond extract and vegan butter. Trust me.

8. Happy Cow

There’s nothing worse than going out to eat on vacation and having to order a $12 side salad. If you’re sick of peanut butter and jelly and Tofurkey sandwiches, Happy Cow is great for finding vegan friendly restaurants while traveling. Simply put in your location and you are set.

9. Cruelty-Free

This free app isn’t about food, but it’s still important for vegans to know about. I have always struggled with finding ethically friendly bath and beauty products simply because it’s difficult to know where your products come from. This app collects many cruelty-free brand names, and you can even search by product.

10. Vegan Cooking

Basic recipes for all meals and occasions made vegan. Much more than desserts, they have specific categories for appetizers, slow cooker, soups and raw vegan recipes. It’s great for the holidays, and they currently feature pumpkin recipes and perfect foods for the Super Bowl. It has classic recipes, so it’s the place to go when you’re ready to stop baking cookie dough brownies and start cooking like an adult.

11. Vegan Baking

It’s like Vegan Cooking, but for baking. Simple enough. It has classic vegan dessert recipes, such as shortbread cookies, truffles and dessert bars. Plus, their articles section and "The Food Science Behind Vegan Cake” are definitely worth the read.

Bonus

12. Vegweb

13. Post Punk Kitchen

14. Peta's Accidentally Vegan List

15. OhSheGlows

16. Yummily