10 Struggles All Left-Handed People Experience

Things right handed people will never understand

158

In this day and age, people are learning more about each other's differences and supporting equality. However, I believe there is a silent minority that still remains. One that is too small to speak out about the issues and disrespect we face every. single. day. This minority is made up of the 10% of the world who share the struggles most right-handed people wouldn't know to bat an eye at.

1. Smearing

No matter how long you wait for your ink to dry on the paper before writing the next word, you are set up to smear everything into a streak across your page. Imagine walking around with purple Crayola marker on the side of your hand. Or worse, pencil lead. Oh and gel pens are absolutely not an option.

2. No One Wants to Sit Next to You

In a family of three right handed people, you are always singled out at the dinner table to sit on the opposite side. At restaurants, there is always at least a five minute debate and argument about where you should sit depending on the table. I'll give you a hint, it will be on the left at the very end, even on your birthday. But hey, at least no one will be getting elbow stabbed.

3. Scissors

I heard there was a legend where left handed suspects were given right handed scissors to cut paper snowflakes with until they cracked and spilled the facts. I'm pretty sure it dates back all the way to the Tower of London where they used this as well as other torture devices on criminals such as a right handed can openers. Ok, I made that up, but why can't these both be universal products instead of cutting my hand open trying to fit it into a right handed shaped mold?

4. White Boards

Remember that whole smearing thing I talked about? White boards stand no chance against a lefty, every letter you write down won't just get smudged, but entirely swept away.

5. Notebooks

Curse the standard spiral notebook. That metal rings of terror digs right into your hand and every letter you write down gets instantly warped for the first two inches of the page. The biggest relief is flipping the page and writing on the back of it.

6. Computer Mice

For years I thought I just sucked at all of those activities we had to do on computers. The drawing apps and everything made me think something was wrong with me until I realized that computer mice (most of them) are programmed to fit into the right hand. Yes you can switch it, but the clicking of certain buttons will still throw you off.

7. Desks

Is it just me or does anyone else not even look for a left handed desk anymore? I think it is more likely to get struck by lightning than to find a left handed desk in a classroom. I think evolution kicked in early and made me just completely adapt to the right handed writing style.

8. Credit Card Machines and Bank Pens

They don't care about you, they just don't. Whenever you are forced to sign your name in public it is basically just an opportunity to look like a dumb ass and try and pull the chain holding the electronic pen to the left side.

9. Sports

Always having to resort to playing right handed baseball in gym class because there is never more than one left handed glove. And being referred to as "goofy" instead of "normal" in surfing, snowboarding, and just in general.

10. People Asking If You Are Left Handed

The only time I get asked if I'm left handed is when I'm writing with - you guessed it- my left hand. And even when you say yes as you try to keep your eyes from rolling, people can't help but seem super excited as if you are some sort of wizard or alien. And no, I'm not a satan worshipper just because my parents didn't make me put the crayon in my right hand instead.