Top 10 Nostalgia-Inducing Movies On Netflix

Use these blasts from the past to procrastinate even more!

99
joe.ie

As a kid, there was nothing better than watching a movie. Not only was it exciting when your mom would let you watch anything on the TV, but the media you consumed was what fed your imagination and helped to shape your hopes and dreams. So, for old times' sake, I went on Netflix to peruse what from my childhood was available for watching and, let me tell you, I was not disappointed. The initial title of this listicle was "Top 5 Nostalgia-Inducing Movies on Netflix," but then my research carried me away. Once I went down the rabbit hole, there was no absolutely no coming back. So here you have it, my top ten nostalgia-inducing movies available to stream on Netflix, presented in no particular order:

1. Spy Kids (2001)

Memory Kickstarter: Carmen (Alexa Vega) and Juni (Daryl Sabara) are two normal kids with parents they believe to be just normal and dorky, but who are actually secret-agent spies. When they go missing while on a mission, Carmen and Juni uncover the truth and decide to rescue them.

I don't know about you, but watching this movie really sparked my lifelong desire to be a spy. Carmen and Juni had it all - cool sunglasses, awesome gadgets, and a creepy children's show with characters made from real humans to boot! It's too bad "Super Secret Agent Studies" isn't an available college major, because every "Spy Kids" fan would be all over that.

2. Cadet Kelly (2002)

Memory Kickstarter: A carefree art school eighth-grader named Kelly (Hilary Duff) is forced to attend military school when her mother marries an ex-military man. While there, she faces many challenges, most notably bullying by her commanding officer, Cadet Stone (Christy Carlson Romano), but eventually learns to love it by joining the drill team - which becomes the catalyst for a friendship between her and Stone.

Come on!A movie starring Lizzie McGuire and Ren from Even Stevens? Every young'un in the early '00s was obsessed with both of those gals - if you say you weren't, you're lying.

3. The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl (2005)

Memory Kickstarter: A lonely kid, Max (Cayden Boyd), dreams up an imaginary world where Sharkboy (Taylor Lautner), a boy with some serious anger management issues that was raised by sharks, and Lavagirl (Taylor Dooley), a girl with awesome hair who can release fire and lava, have left him in suburbia with his neglectful parents so that they can protect Planet Drool. After a bully vandalizes Max's Dream Journal, which contains the story of Sharkboy and Lavagirl, they come to his school and bring him to Planet Drool, which has been thrown into chaos, to help them save it from the evil Mr. Electric (George Lopez).

This one really speaks for itself. Pre-Twilight Taylor Lautner?? You know you're opening another tab right now to add this to your List.

4. Wendy Wu Homecoming Warrior (2006)

Memory Kickstarter: Wendy Wu (Brenda Song) is a popular high schooler whose homecoming queen campaign is interrupted by Shen (Shin Koyamoda), a young Buddhist monk who has been sent to tell Wendy that she is the reincarnation of a powerful female warrior and the only one who can stop an ancient evil called Yan Lo from destroying the world. At first disbelieving, Wendy soon comes to realize its true when Yan Lo comes to destroy her, and she begins training with Shen so that she can defeat the evil demon.

First of all, this movie is kick-ass, and anyone who thinks otherwise should just stop reading this article right now. Secondly, Gary Marsh, President and CCO for Disney Channels Worldwide, described this movie as "'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' meets 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon'" - if that's not incentive to re-watch it, I don't know what is.

5. Jump In! (2007)

Memory Kickstarter: A star boxer named Izzy (Corbin Bleu) becomes enamored with competitive double dutch when he takes his little sister to see the regional championships, which their neighbor Mary (Keke Palmer) is competing in. After her team takes fourth place, their teammate quits to join a rival team, leaving a spot open that Izzy takes. Meanwhile, an upcoming match with his boxing rival looms - leaving Izzy to decide which sport he should focus his passion and energy on.

Not only does this movie have some great music - "It's My Turn Now" by Keke Palmer was among the top songs on repeat back in my iPod Nano days - but it's pretty awesome in its depiction of strong kick-ass young women, just like "Wendy Wu. Jump In!" is guaranteed to make you want to try to double dutch like you would in gym as a kid, which in turn leads to guaranteed disappointment at your complete lack of coordination (at least for me).

6. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)

Memory Kickstarter: A series of adorable short animated stories, based on the written ones by A. A. Milne, featuring Winnie the Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Rabbit, Christopher Robin, and the rest of the adorable gang.

Still my favorite movie of all time. If you haven't seen this, your childhood was a sham and you need to watch it ASAP. If you have, get ready for some major feels.

7. An Extremely Goofy Movie (1999)

Memory Kickstarter: In this animated film featuring everyone's favorite classic Disney character, the lovable Goofy is so proud when his son Max goes away to college that he decides to follow him there in order to finish his own degree. Of course, cool-kid Max is incredibly embarrassed by his chaotic father, and some conflict ensues.

Not only is the gif above proof of how #relatable this film is to many a college student's remembrance of their first year, "An Extremely Goofy Movie" lives up to its name by being not only extremely goofy but also extremely sweet and cute. Trust me, watching this will make you want to call your parents to tell them how much you love them.

8. The Emperor's New Groove (2000)

Memory Kickstarter: If you don't remember this movie, shame on you. But basically, Emperor Kuzco is a pompous jerk whose power-hungry advisor Yzma - voiced by Eartha Kitt - accidentally turns him into a llama instead of poisoning him. Stranded in the jungle by Yzma's incompetent assistant Kronk, Kuzco is taken in by villager Pacha, who decides to help him become a man again only if he promises not to destroy Pacha's village, as Kuzco had planned to do so earlier in the movie. With the promise secured, they set off for the palace and, of course, adventure ensues.

Everyone loves this movie. It's literally impossible to not love it.

9. Anastasia (1997)

Memory Kickstarter: Inspired by the conspiracy theory that Grand Duchess Anastasia survived the Russian Civil War execution of the Romanov family, this fantastical film follows the story of Anya, an amnesiac teenager who is actually Anastasia. Despite the hex put on the Romanov family by the evil Rasputin, Anastasia was able to escape the palace before their death, and years later her grandmother, the Dowager Empress living in Paris, offers a reward for her return. Two con men, thinking Anya looks like Anastasia, but not knowing her true identity, bring her to Paris in order to collect the money.

As the gif above shows, the animation for this movie is absolutely breathtaking. And the film itself is incredibly exciting and has every aspect you look for in a movie - adventure, romance, an evil undead wizard whose head comes off and bounces around while he sings a psychotic song, a cute little bat sidekick to the evil guy. It's a fun time for everyone.

10. Fantasia (1940)

Memory Kickstarter: Another artistically-stunning movie, Fantasia is a series of animated shorts set to classical music, including pieces by Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and Schubert. Some ethereal, some comical, there are seven sequences total, with classics such as Mickey Mouse as a young sorcerer's apprentice, set to "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Paul Dukas, and a comical ballet featuring a myriad of animals set to
Dance of the Hours" by Amilcare Ponchielli.

I remember watching this movie as a little kid and being absolutely enthralled by it. It's honestly a must-see, and for those re-watching it, be ready to remember how in awe you were of the colorful centuar-ettes, lightning-bolt-throwing Zeus, and a terrifying evil devil called Chernabog.

BONUS: Powerpuff Girls (6 seasons)

Although technically not a movie, I needed to include the fact that all six original seasons of the "Powerpuff Girls" are available because that is incredibly important information.

Happy Netflixing, and sorry in advance for all the reading you're not going to get done!