The Top 10 Movies Of 2017

The Top 10 Movies Of 2017

Drum roll, please!

240
The Top 10 Movies Of 2017
Wikimedia

I am a huge film buff. Watching and dissecting movies is something I genuinely enjoy, as is having the experience of watching them in theaters. While 2017 was a wild, strange, and at times depressing year, one area where it was an overwhelming positive was its number of quality movies. This was a very strong year, one of the best in recent memory. I can’t think of a stretch where there was a lull in terms of interesting movies being shown.

Before I go on, I have some honorable mentions. I really enjoyed Logan Lucky and Thor: Ragnarok. Both were entertaining in their own ways, and their only downfall was that they were in a year where I simply enjoyed ten movies over them.

Without further ado, here is my top ten list of films in 2017.

10. "Murder on the Orient Express"

Who doesn’t love a great murder mystery? Kenneth Branagh’s modern remake of Agatha Christie’s classic story was everything it needed to be, and more. There were plenty twists and turns to keep you guessing throughout, but with enough new takes to differentiate this from the 1974 original.

Branagh shined as our hero, Inspector Hercule Poirot, giving the character more depth we haven’t seen before. He’s not alone, as Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Willem Dafoe, Josh Gad and Johnny Depp all deliver solid performances in this star-studded cast. We are also treated to some truly stunning cinematography, making us all thankful Branagh is having somewhat of a late-career revival.

Twentieth Century Fox has already greenlit a sequel, "Death on the Nile," and Branagh is expected to return as director and lead. Here’s hoping they’ve tapped into a new genre ready for modern exploitation.

9. "War for the Planet of the Apes"

The most underrated trilogy of our generation, perhaps all time, has got to be the rebooted Planet of the Apes prequels. After strong entries from "Rise and Dawn," we receive a satisfying conclusion with "War."

It is hard for me to be impressed with CGI these days since every movie employs it to some extent, but every time I watch one of these movies I am in pure awe. Not just in the rendering of the apes, but also in the fact that Andy Serkis has yet to be nominated for an Oscar. His constant underrating is borderline criminal at this point.

Although I walked out truly loving this movie, what hurts its ranking is that the title is a tad misleading (more so a war between human factions that do not directly involve the Apes), and the pace at the beginning was akin to molasses in January. However, the finish was rock solid.

Strong performances from Serkis and Woody Harrelson steal the show, along with subtle-yet-profound allusions to religious imagery and "Apocalypse Now!"is what propels this into the top ten.

8. "Wonder Woman"

Following her short but impactful debut in "Batman v. Superman," the final member of DC’s Holy Trinity finally gets her own movie. And what a show she put on!

"Wonder Woman" was a remarkably awesome blend of Ancient Greek mythology and World War One. A combination that proved to be the best since peanut butter and chocolate.

Gal Gadot killed it as WW, and her on-screen chemistry with Chris Pine was a highlight for me. Oh, and the action sequences rival even some of the best/most memorable of the comic book film genre. Warner Bros. has had issues delivering movies that live up to their immense hype, but "Wonder Woman"rose to the occasion, breathing new life into the franchise.

Rumor has it that a sequel is in the production, and it will feature our titular demi-goddess facing off against the Soviets. If that is the case, where can I pre-order a ticket?

7. "Justice League"

People, I kid you not when I say that I have been waiting since 2001 for a live-action Justice League movie. After 16 long years of wondering if I would ever see one, Warner Bros. finally delivered!

No, it’s not perfect, but it’s still a good superhero flick. The dynamic of the team worked really well together, giving everyone plenty of time to shine in their own way. The villainous Steppenwolf was believable enough as a credible world-ending threat, but the real treat was seeing some of my favorite heroes from my childhood band together and save the day.

Even though I am a hardcore fanboy, I will admit that the DCEU has had some hic-ups along the way. However, "Justice League" was easily one of their best. Warner Bros. still isn’t perfect (*cough* limit studio interference *cough cough*) but I sincerely hope they are still able to see their vision for this world out.

6. "Baby Driver"

There is nothing quite like an exciting heist film. If you’re looking for heart-racing intensity, impressive stunts, clever trickery on the part of the robbers, and larger-than-life drama, then Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver delivers all of these qualities in spades.

From a movie that seemingly came out of nowhere for me, I was completely blown away. Wright’s creative flair is on display once more as he gives us a fresh take on the heist genre.

Nothing feels out of place or cliché, with enough bends in the road to keep you on the edge of your seat. The driving stunts in this film put all eight Fast and Furious movies to shame.

Ansel Elgort, Lily James, and Jamie Foxx were outstanding, but Jon Hamm absolutely stood above a stacked cast in what was one of his best ever performances. Not to mention a near-flawless soundtrack being the icing on the cake. This is a fun movie, a perfect summer special.

5. "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2"

Over the last decade, Marvel has released some truly, well, marvelous films. Ones that have expanded the genre even further. However great those are, "Guardians"towers above the rest. Even usurping the first "Iron Man," in my book.

After being shocked at how much I enjoyed the first, I eagerly awaited the sequel. I was not disappointed in the least. This movie is a rare example of the sequel being far superior to its predecessor, as "Guardians"improved upon every aspect from the first.

Due to more time to have meaningful character development, no longer do our heroes feel like wacky caricatures. Instead, they feel more like real people. Everyone got an opportunity to grow. Well, everyone but Drax, who in lieu of more development got side-splittingly hysterical one-liners. "Guardians" also had a lot more heart to it than many of the other Marvel films, setting it apart from the herd.

4. "The Disaster Artist"

Chronicling the enigmatic Tommy Wiseau and the story behind the creation of the worst movie ever made, "The Room," James Franco took a huge gamble telling this bizarre tale. Luckily for him, it paid off in a monumental way.

There was not a single movie this year that made me laugh quite like I did with "The Disaster Artist." Watching it a second time, I think I laughed even harder. A rare feat for any comedy. Franco directed and starred as the… we’ll say “peculiar”… Tommy Wiseau, and was absurdly great at it.

As someone who has been a fan of Franco’s work in the past, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him better than he was in this one. I sincerely hope that he nabs at least an Oscar nomination for this role, he's earned that much.

This is a story unlike any other, one that is absolutely worth seeing. To fully appreciate it, you must see Wiseau’s "The Room," either before or after. If you’ve already seen it, go ahead and watch it again. You know you want to.

3. "Logan"

All good things must end eventually. Not even the nigh-invincible Wolverine could escape this truth. After eight movies (nine, if you count his cameo in "First Class") across an astonishing 17 years, we have come to the end of Hugh Jackman’s role-defining run as Wolverine.

Jackman’s legacy to this character is that no other actor will ever be able to fill his shoes, the character can never be re-cast at this point. No other actor in a comic book movie has even come close to what Jackman accomplished, and he gets the send-off he deserves with "Logan."

We finally get to see Wolverine as he’s always meant to have been brutally violent. Seriously, this might be the goriest movie I’ve seen since "Saving Private Ryan." The best part about that is the fact that it feels totally organic to the story and character, as does the profanity. Nothing feels out of place. "Logan" is an R-rated movie that actually needed the R-rating, not just to be edgy (I'm looking at you, "Deadpool").

I walked out of "Logan" feeling the same way I did with "The Dark Knight" in the sense that this was something totally different. We also get to see Sir Patrick Stewart return one more time as Charles Xavier in a way we’ve never seen him before. Jackman and Stewart put forth an emotional and truly memorable performance that close out two of the most iconic recurring characters in the genre.

2. "Coco"

If you are wondering if there is such a thing as a perfect movie, I would strongly suggest finding a theater that is still playing "Coco" and head there now. Then watch it again. Maybe a third time for good measure.

Pixar does it again with what might be the best film they’ve ever gifted us. I’ve grown up with and adore the likes of "Toy Story," "The Incredibles," "Finding Nemo," "Inside Out," and many more just like the rest of us, but I must say that "Coco"stands out as something truly special. One of the most unique, original, and emotional movies I have ever had the privilege of watching, "Coco" surpasses every note it’s aiming to hit.

In a film centered on music, the score and original songs excelled as well. I’m actually listening to the soundtrack as I write this. The message of family in the story is one that will hit home to just about everyone who watches, and I will fully admit that I did tear up both times I saw "Coco."

This is also the most breathtakingly beautiful animated movie I can think of. From the stunning colors in the Land of the Dead to the excruciatingly detailed little things that you pick up subconsciously, like skin, wrinkles, or the bone marrow in the skeletons. Shoot, the characters even play the guitar correctly. It is evident that so much love and effort went into this masterpiece. I am counting down the days until I can buy this on Blu-ray.

The distance between #1 and #2 on this list is razor thin. However, I could not give the top spot to any other movie…

1. "Dunkirk"

When it is all said and done, we will look back on Christopher Nolan and regard him as one of the greatest directors of all time. As we do so, I have no doubt in my mind that "Dunkirk" will be a major reason why.

World War II has countless stories, but the tale of the British at the beaches of Dunkirk is one that is not well known by mainstream American audiences. It was high time that we recognize such a monumental event from the War, and Nolan made sure of it. "Dunkirk" is one that sticks with you well after you watch it as it will take a few days to come down from the anxiety attacks Nolan gives you throughout the course of the film.

Nolan’s direction and the brilliant score from Hans Zimmer give you the sense of impending doom that makes you feel as if you were actually there. Something I found brilliant about "Dunkirk" is that you never actually see a Nazi soldier clearly, nor do you hear the word. You just have this feeling that they are an omnipresent force just creeping upon our heroes. Making the Nazis more fearsome than they have been portrayed before is no small feat, but that aspect of "Dunkirk"does just that.

What has always separated Nolan from the rest of the pact is his insistence on using practical effects over CGI ones. In fact, there are very little effects that are computer generated. Even the dogfights, those were actually real planes flying! The cinematography is awe-inspiring, the acting is tremendous, and although you may walk out not knowing a single character’s name, you are still deeply invested in their survival. No director manipulates time in their narrative like Nolan does, and the three seemingly unconnected storylines coming together is simply classic Nolan giving his distinctive mark.

Where "Dunkirk" stands out from other war films is that the story is rather simple: survive. That’s it. No political message, no grandstanding, just a story of good trying to live to fight evil another day.

So there it is, my friends, my top ten movies of 2017. What did you think? Do you agree? Or am I completely off the mark here? Either way, I hope you enjoyed my take on this year’s films!