​My Top 10 MMORPGs In No Particular Order

The games you should be playing today!

1029
PlanWallpaper

An MMORPG is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. So, essentially it is an online game you can download and play with other people from all over the world, or sitting right next to you. My dad and I usually play these together and I’ll chat in a game that he took a restroom break and people in the game are always like, “How do you know that?” and then I’ll say, “Because he’s sitting right across from me!” Hahaha!

1) Runescape

The classic in MMORPGs, this game has been around for years. With a passionate fan following and many things to do in the game, Runescape continues to stand strong in the category.

2) RIFT

Ironically enough, I actually play this one right now. I have a nice healer who can keep her team from constantly dying every five minutes. Similar to World of Warcraft (at the bottom of this list) RIFT is your standard questing, leveling, crafting MMO with a few interesting nuances.

3) TERA

An action based MMO that is sure to satisfy the slasher tendencies in all of us, TERA will give you the ability to take out your real-life frustrations on your virtual enemies. *Note: this author does not condone real-life violence!

4) Neverwinter

The Dungeons and Dragons MMO responsible for bringing the classic table game to the PC, Neverwinter is a bit different than other MMOs on this list. It boasts a storyline that makes you follow along and learn about the adventure your character is having rather than just fighting, players can even create their own storylines and quests to play.

5) Guild Wars 2

Purchase the discs or download and start playing all completely free, unless you choose to pay for updates. Guild Wars 2 is a persistent world rather than an RPG in the traditional sense. It boasts freedom more than any other game I’ve ever seen.

6) SMITE

Not an RPG, but still an MMO. SMITE is different. It is a battle arena style game. Almost like a digital version of capture the flag/ steal the base, SMITE is sure to keep you entertained for hours on end.

7) Lord of the Rings Online

Based on the fantasy books/ movies of the same name, this game is interesting if you love those types of stories. The immersive fantasy idea of adventuring with friends. Lord of the Rings Online boasts a twist to the classic magic systems of old, magic is based on a theoretical knowledge of lore and only some characters can use the power.

8) AION

A Korean offering, AION is still different to other MMORPGs because of the way it handles attacking. All character skills are performed in chains or a specific order. The farther into the game the person gets, the more powerful the chain and the stronger the skills. Zoned PVP also makes an interesting appearance in AION.

9) Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

A re-release of the original Final Fantasy XIV, this game continues the classic Final Fantasy style while still being unique. The story starts with the escape of a primal dragon, Bahamut, and players are then sent through a series of quests to rebuild the land he has destroyed.

10) EVE Online

A space themed MMO that gives players the ability to engage in spaced based warfare and economic competition. The main idea is to conquer the most land within the area of space, including our very own Milky Way galaxy.

11) Everquest

Another fantasy-themed game using a 3d game engine, Everquest is sure to be a favorite. With multiple classes and ways to play, Everquest tops the charts for a great MMO!

12) World of Warcraft

The king of the MMORPG genre and partially free to play, this is where MMOs are at. WoW has always been and will continue to be a staple in the MMO world. Full of all the basic elements; fantasy, magic, dungeons, crafting, and much, much more. With many expansions and constantly evolving characters and content, WoW will continue to reign supreme in the land of RPGs as well!

So, what games would make your top list? I'm always on the lookout for something new to play!