Top 10 Food Places To Try In Wildwood, N.J. This Summer

It's not GTL, it's GTF -- gym, tan and food!

706
Tony Deutsch

Growing up practically in the Tri-State area, I have had many perks of being in this amazing location. From weekend trips to New York City with my best friends, to traveling from state to state in a matter of hours, I have been so blessed to have the experiences I have encountered. But my favorite thing about growing up on the border of the Tri-State area has to be the New Jersey shore line.

Living practically in Jersey every summer since I was born, Wildwood, N.J. is like a second home to me and holds a special place in my heart! From beach days and pool nights, to Senior Week 2013 (never forget!) with my best friend to morning bike rides with the family and riding all of the rides on every pier at night, "Love Love Love Love Those Wildwood Days" will always be my summer anthem.

Coming here for the past almost 21 summers, I have traveled, explored and found some of the most amazing hidden secrets about Wildwood, and I am ready to release some of those treasures with you featuring my top 10 food places to try in Wildwood! (Advisory: These food places are not in a specific order due to needing them all at some point during the summer!)

10. TLC's Polish Water Ice.

Polish water ice is the first thing I grab as we pull into town. This delectable treat that has no fat, no cholesterol and no dairy (this is not a typo, it has none of the following I just listed) and has tons of flavors, combinations and products to choose from. Going to school in Western Pennsylvania, and growing up in Eastern Pennsylvania, I constantly faced the battle of different names and places of things Wawa vs. Sheetz, (I now prefer Getgo over anything), shopping cart vs. buggy, vacuum vs sweeper and the worst one of all Water Ice vs. Italian Ice). Yes, there is a difference, and yes, if you are from Philadelphia you will be assaulted or offended! Nothing and I mean no water ice I have ever tasted compares to this amazing taste and flavor. Still a little on edge? Do what I do. There are numerous Polish Water Ice's located along the estimated two mile boardwalk, where they hand out free samples of all of their flavors. After getting a few samples, you definitely cannot resist the urge of getting one of these!

9. Mack's Pizza.

This pizza is unlike any other! From the way they distribute their red sauce through the cool tube, to how they cook their pizza (on a moving surface oven) I would have to say this is my favorite (next to Pizza Hut, of course) pizza place. The familiar faces you see throughout the years, it's like going to see your distance cousins, they remember you and your families and grow with you, but the best part is, the pizza never changes! Personally, my favorite is their white pizza with broccoli, but you have endless options of toppings and choices with your own pie. Remember there are only two locations on the boardwalk so make sure you stop and get your slice when you see it!

8. Menz Resturant.

I have been going to the restaurant since I was a child. Returning last summer as an adult with my sister, we still ordered the "Kid Drink" on the menu.

I loved this restaurant as a child, and I still love it now! The seafood-based restaurant (shoreline, duh) of course sells other yummy food as well! The uniqueness of this restaurant is the antic and thrifty outside that differs from the fancy inside decor. This restaurant (my favorite) also offers an old school candy shop inside featuring a lot of candies adults love and grew up on, but still includes modern day candy that your children will love too! My personal favorite are the grab bags that will always give you a good variety of surprise. Make sure to make a reservation due to this popular gem located right outside of Wildwood, N.J.

7. YOGO Factory.

This new sweet addition was added to the boardwalk not too long ago. The trend of popular frozen yogurt places has now taken over this famous boardwalk. With a large variety of toppings and yogurt flavors ,this sweet treat will make it worth the walk down to the third pier to get a cup of awesomeness!

6. Franconi's.

This restaurant is a hometown favorite for me as well as a shore favorite. Growing up in good 'ole Lansdale, Penn., we have this classic Italian restaurant right in our own neighborhood. From pizza to classic Italian dishes this family style atmosphere will give you a taste of home wherever you travel from. Plus the garlic knots are da bomb! While spending a significant amount of time down at the Jersey Shore, this place always gives me a taste of home when I missing it.

5. Chickie and Pete's.

If you're not from the Philadelphia or New Jersey area, this is a must try! While were on my hometown kick, this is also a favorite of mine that is still around the corner from my house when I am home. This seafood-based restaurant gives a modern day twist and is one of the most famous sports bars in the area! Sadly at this location on the boardwalk you do not get access to the amazing full menu (Lobster Pizza ahhhhh) but luckily you get to have a taste of their amazing, D to the E to the L-I-C-I-O-U-S crab fries! If you love Obey seasoning, then you will love their original recipe of blended seasonings covered in fries and paired with their one of a kind white cheese sauce (it's so good)!

4. Curley's.

While we're on a fry kick, this is one of my favorites that I cannot get from home (insert sad face emoji). Curley's Fries have been around sine 1974, and they are still one of the most crowded stands still hanging on the boardwalk. Located at the second pier, these fresh fries are cut and cooked before your eyes! These lovely fries can be paired with their deliciously refreshing lemonade, squeezed on the premise as well. It doesn't get fresher than this!

3. Uncle Bill's Pancake House.

Pancakes, pancakes and, of course, pancakes! This classic traditional breakfast place is the talk of the town. With a crowd almost always you can search their extensive menu for an elaborate array of pancakes among other breakfast and lunch foods! Uncle Bill's has been a family favorite and a favorite of many others who vacation annually down at the Wildwood shore line. After morning bike rides along the boardwalk this is where you can always find our family here afterwards! My favorite are the peanut butter pancakes -- if you love peanut butter as much as I do, you need to give these a try!

2. Douglass Fudge.

Growing up this was my favorite part about vacation. Sad, but true! Salt water taffy and fudge are two signatures of the Jersey shore. With a large variety of fudge your options are endless. Whether you are buying for yourself or giving them as a gift, they come in signature classy packaging that is so cute you may just not want to eat, but that's probably impossible!

1. Betty Scoops.

Funnel cake, fried Oreo's, cotton candy, ice cream...you name it, they've got it! There are a lot, and I mean a lot of treats up and down the board walk that you can choose from (it's a foodies dream). Out of the places I have tried this is a spot that I can't stop going back to! There's such a variety of options you can never go wrong stopping at a parlor! I mean, come on, they have fried ice cream -- like legit fried ice cream! I mean, out of the many options offered here I can't come here and not get a funnel cake. That's ultimately my go-to here, but I am sure everything is just as scrumptious.

I promise you the Wildwoods have more to offer than just food, but if this doesn't entice you, then you're just missing out on one of summer's best vacation spots in the U.S.