The Top 10 Dorm Room Recipes

The Top 10 Dorm Room Recipes

These delicious recipes can be made in the comfort of your dorm.

62
The Top 10 Dorm Room Recipes
Eurasian Baker

School food is not always the best, nor is Top Ramen everyday. Simple things like homemade food can make you miss home. Having food that is cooked to your own standards can be a great mood lifter, especially when it’s your favorite meal. Therefore, I have composed a list of my favorite dorm room friendly recipes. All of these recipes can be made with supplies found in a dorm room, such as a mug and microwave.

1. Banana French Toast

http://www.stephsbitebybite.com/2012/05/15/banana-french-toast-in-a-mug/

This is a simple comfort meal in a mug that will help you start your day on a good foot.

Ingredients: 2 slices of bread that has been cut into cubes, 1 egg, 4 tablespoons of milk, 2 tablespoons of applesauce, 2 tablespoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and ½ of a banana that has been sliced.

Directions: Spray mug with nonstick cooking spray.Layer half of bread cubes into mug. Top bread cubes with half of the banana slices. Layer the remaining bread cubes and bananas slices. Then in a separate bowl mix together milk, egg, applesauce, cinnamon, and vanilla. Pour mixture over the top of the bread cubes and bananas slices. Microwave for 2 minutes. Top with favorite topping and enjoy!

2. Tex Mex Breakfast Muffins

http://www.aspicyperspective.com/quick-breakfast-muffins-mexican-dish/

Instead of having a boring egg, enjoy this simple but delicious twist on a breakfast muffin.

Ingredients: ½ of an English muffin, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon of pico de gallo, 1 tablespoon of chopped ham, bacon, or sausage, 2 tablespoons of cheese, and salt.

Directions: Place English muffin into a greased mug. Sprinkle half of the cheese onto the muffin. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, yogurt, pico de gallo, and salt. Pour the mixture over the muffin and cheese. Top with the chopped up meat and remaining cheese. Cook for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, or until egg is cooked fully. Top with sour cream, more pico de gallo, or your own favorite topping. Eat up!

3. Egg Fried Rice

http://healthynibblesandbits.com/egg-fried-rice-mug/

A simple but savor meal to fulfill any cravings for delicious food that you may have.

Ingredients: 1 cup of cooked rice, 2 tablespoons of frozen peas, 2 tablespoons of chopped red peppers, ½ chopped green onion, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, ½ teaspoon of sesame oil,and ½ teaspoon of onion powder. (You can also add can chicken if you want.)

Directions: Place rice in a mug. Layer peas, green onions, and red peppers on rice. Cover with cling wrap. Punch a few holes in the cling wrap. Cook for 1 minute. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, sesame oil, onion powder, and soy sauce together. Pour egg mixture over the rice and vegetables, and cook for 1 ½ minutes. (Add in drained can chicken.) Stir and let sit for 1 minute. Bon appetite!

4. Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole

http://thetiptoefairy.com/2015/01/cheesy-broccoli-rice-casserole-one/

This hearty home style food is sure to cure any homesickness that may strike.

Ingredients: 1 serving of microwave rice, 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese, 4-5 broccoli florets, and 1 tablespoon of water.

Directions: Cook rice according to the packaging. In a separate bowl, mix together broccoli, cheese, and water. Microwave for 2 minutes. Smash the broccoli into small bits with a fork. Mix into the cooked rice. Yum!

5. Tuna Casserole

http://spoonuniversity.com/recipe/microwave-miracle-tuna-noodle-casserole/

Another home-time favorite in the comforts of your cozy dorm room.

Ingredients: handful of frozen peas, easy mac noodles, 1 can of tuna, ¼ cup of cheddar cheese, ¼ sour cream or mayonnaise, relish, and crackers.

Directions: Cook the peas. In a separate bowl, cook the noodles according to the packaging. Stir in the peas, tuna, cheese, sour cream or mayonnaise, relish, and crumbled up crackers. Simple and delicious!

6. Bean Chili

http://emerils.com/125303/emerils-vegetarian-microwave-black-bean-chili

A small meal that could warm your bones even on the coldest of days.

Ingredients: 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of rotel, 1 can of diced green chilis, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and ½ teaspoon of salt.

Directions: Stir all ingredients together in a bowl. Microwave until the tomato sauce is bubbling. How easy is that?

7. Meatloaf

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/meat-loaf-in-a-...

It can get more homier than meatloaf.

Ingredients: 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 tablespoon of ketchup, 2 tablespoons of quick cooking oats, 1 teaspoon, of onion soup mix, ¼ pound of ground beef, and BBQ sauce.

Directions: Mix milk, ketchup, oats, and soup mix together in mug, Crumble the ground beef over the mixture and mix very well. Pat it into shape (you can transfer it into another mug if you so desire), cover, and microwave for 3 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Drain and let set for 3 minutes. Drizzle some BBQ sauce on top. Home sweet home food!

8. Monkey Bread

http://www.recipeshubs.com/coffee-monkey-bread/37205

A sticky, delicious treat to enjoy after you aced that test!

Ingredients: 3 tablespoons of butter, ⅓ cup of brown sugar, ½ teaspoon of vanilla, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and i can biscuit.(the amount of biscuits depends on the size of your mug or bowl.)

Directions: Melt the butter. Mix the butter with the brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Cut the biscuits into small cubes. Place biscuit cubes into bowl or mug. Pour mixture over the biscuits and stir until coated evenly. Cook for 4 minutes and then let it set for 2 minutes. Delish!

9. Veggie Chips

http://ohmyveggies.com/baked-root-vegetable-chips-with-buttermilk-parsley-dipping-sauce/

Here is an amazing alternative to those plain, old potato chips.

Ingredients: Vegetable of your choice, water, seasoning (like salt, pepper, garlic,etc.), and olive oil.

Directions: Thinly slice the vegetable. Soak in cold water for a couple of minutes. Rinse in cold water. Dry the slices off. Place on a paper towel covered plate. Season and brush with olive oil. Microwave for 3 minutes. Flip and microwave for 3 more minutes. Continue to flip and cook at 1 minute intervals. Remove chips as they become crispy. Enjoy that chomping sound!

10. Butterbeer Cake

http://www.livinglocurto.com/2015/09/harry-potter-butterbeer-cake-mug/

Last but not least, here is one for all of my fellow Harry Potter fans. Warm and sweet, this treat is almost magical!

Cake:

Ingredients: 4 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of white sugar, 2 tablespoons of melted butter or vegetable oil,and 2 tablespoons of cream soda.

Directions: Mix all ingredients into a mug. Cook for 90 seconds or until cake is fully cooked.

Icing:

Ingredients: 1 ½ cup of powdered sugar, ½ cup of room temperature butter, ⅛ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1 tablespoon of milk, 1 tablespoon of butterscotch syrup, and whipped cream.

Directions: Mix all ingredients except for the whipped cream. Pour icing over the cooled cake. Top with whipped cream. So good!

Just like life, recipes can be changed and modified until they fit your own personal desires. Recipes are only guidelines. They tell you how to do something, but you are the one who gives it soul. You bring it to life. Do not get discouraged if the recipe does not turn out right. Like another mistake, learn from it and take your new found knowledge and apply it. Enjoy baking and eating these wonderful recipes.