Top 10 Things To Do in Austin When You're Broke AF

Breaking News: you can still have the best time of your life in Austin even if you're ballin' on a budget.

142
Myself

Austin… one of the best and by far, weirdest places you will ever visit in your lifetime. From thong wearing granola obsessed bikers to the dirtiest of all streets around, Austin isn’t just a visit; it’s an experience.

10. Take a Stroll at Lady Bird

…or Town Lake, whichever name rests easy on your tongue. The scenic running/biking/strolling path hugs the kayak-filled lake and no matter the day or the season, there are always hundreds pf natives enjoying the outdoors, getting a workout in, or both! The path is a wonderful way to see some beauty ATX has to offer.

9. Literally Laugh All Night

Austin is known to be a growing community... especially in 2017. It’s the NYC of Texas so naturally, comedy clubs are popping up all around the bustling city. Similar to NY, they are all hole-in-the-wall destinations, however none of which lack in comedy. Locals have a chance to exercise their skills while professionals take the stage every weekend. Tickets are below fie dollars or even… free! If you want to laugh about the Austin liberals or the granola goons biking about town, comedy shows in Austin are the way to go.

8. That One Graffiti Wall

…better known to the Austinite community as Castle Hill. Rumor has it that a company wanted to build an office but ran out of cash. So naturally, as any open piece of cement in Austin, every inch of the wall was covered in different colored spray paint soon after the project ended. It doesn’t cost a dime to enjoy an afternoon looking at the mountain of artwork. Every few months the entire landscape changes, and new art is sprayed upon the aged hill.

7. Find Your Oasis at The Oasis

There is nothing more calming than a Texan sunset, however, when viewed from The Oasis, it can be one of the most beautiful sights Texas has to offer. Overlooking the ever-changing Lake Travis, The Oasis the best place to experience the sun dip below the horizon. Don’t bother ordering the expensive food. Get yourself an $8 infamous margarita, sit back, and watch the pinks, oranges, blues and purples dance across the Austin sky.

6. Devour Unique Donuts

Voodoo is normally a word people steer clear of, but when you round the corner onto dirty sixth, it’s the most beautiful word on the whole street (even more than $2 shots). Glazed on a powder pink sign, Voodoo stands valiantly in the middle of Sixth street, awaiting its millions of customers. Offering dozens of different, unique donuts, Voodoo makes everything from bubblegum flavored donuts to male genitalia shaped donuts. After eating one, you’ll be under Voodoo’s spell forever.

5. Well, Well, Well

Don’t worry, no black haired girl is going to pull you down this well. Jacob’s Well, found in Wimberley, TX, (hour outside the city) is one of nature’s anomalies. The 250 ft. deep hole in the ground was formed naturally, and the coolest place to hang out, swim and dive in for a couple hours. You have to make a reservation, but it’s only ten bucks and entirely worth the trip outside the city. Make sure you go in the middle of the day, when the sun is at its highest, so you can see farther down.

4. Strike a Pose

in the iconic words of Madonna: strike a pose. All around the city sits infamous walls that are perfect for a pic or two (& it’s free!). The “I love you so much” wall sits on the side of a coffee shop on South Congress (just know, unless it’s cold, there is always a line wrapping around the street to take a picture with it). Other wall gems in Austin include the “You’re my butter half” wall, located off MLK Blvd & Alamo and the Austin postcard wall off 1st & Annie St. The places are perfect for a timely photoshoot with your bestie. (Pics or it didn’t happen, right?)

3. Learn the Texas Two-Step!

Austin is a hybrid; a breathing city but still somehow still possesses its country charm. Anywhere in ATX whether it is Wild West, Coupland or even the good ol’ Broken Spoke, two-steppin’ is a trademark of the town. Everyone knows how to do it. Dust off your cowboy boots from the back of the closet & two step like a true Texan! Every Wednesday is Ladies night (free, hello), and come on… who doesn’t wanna two step with a cowboy?

2. Be a Barton Babe

68 degrees’ year round, the spring fed, turquoise lagoon is the best destination for a cool dip during Austin summer. Costing only a $2 fee to get in, Barton is the best place to spend the afternoon. You can float, dive, jump and explore the best pool Austin had to offer… but don’t forget: it’s a bit chilly.

1. MUSIC

Probably the most essential part of a trip to ATX: the live music. Heck, it is the live music capital of the WORLD for Pete-sakes! On a Friday-Saturday night, just take a stroll about the city and you will hear authentic jams from any street in downtown Austin (and its free). Music is what the city lives on; it keeps us Austinites sane from the craziness of the ever-changing world, and it is the perfect haven for local talent do what it does best: thrive.