Too Many Promises, Too Little Time

Too Many Promises, Too Little Time

Have you ever found yourself busy due to all the promises you've made? Well, So have I.

167
Too Many Promises, Too Little Time
Love This Pic

A promise is a promise, right? We learned at a young age that by doing what back then was a “pinky promise” was not to be broken. It seems to me that back then, promises were not as serious or often as they are now. I am one to make too many promises. I like to stay busy and I like to make life easier for people. However, I often find myself saying, “I make too many promises!” as I walk quickly out the door on to my next task.

I have found that being one to make many promises is both a good and bad characteristic. I don’t like to disappoint people, which is positive, but making too many promises can make letting people down happen often. Before college, I knew that I always tried to fit too much into one day. However, I don’t recall having most of my activities due to other people asking me. It seems that lately I am running around for other people instead of myself.

College has taught me to prioritize and trust myself when I know I need to say no, but the little tasks seem to be what are killing me lately. I don’t mind doing them, and in my head I will be able to accomplish them easily without any conflicts. I feel as though I do more work when it comes to my social life than I do with my school work. I like to help people. I like to be involved and stay busy. I am not one to lay around all day. However, making too many promises gives myself less free time and often makes me have to cancel on someone. Which I absolutely hate doing.

Making promises is positive if you can keep track of them all and follow through with them. I have learned that even if you make a light-hearted promise, people will follow up and will count on you to keep your word. College has taught me that I have yet to find a balance for myself and others. I like to stay busy, but I know I should make more time for myself, especially to relax and get homework done.

I hate disappointing people, and I tell myself that while I am young, I should be active and involved. I love making friends and trying new things. However, finding a balance is hard. Making promises is a lot more responsibility than it was in the third grade. And whether it’s a "pinky promise" or a spoken promise, they cannot be broken.