How 'Too Hot To Handle' Is Our Lives In Quarantine

'Too Hot To Handle' Is All Of Our Lives In Quarantine And I'm So Obsessed, I'm Already Re-watching It

"Too Hot To Handle" hits really close to home with everyone in quarantine, dry as a bone.

284
Talkback

I know I'm not the only one who can't get enough of 'Too Hot To Handle', the new Nextflix dating-in-paradise show with a twist: the contestants are banned from physical and sexual contact. If you haven't seen it yet, you need to stop what you're doing and watch it immediately; it's genuinely one of the most entertaining shows I've ever watched. I'm obsessed and I'm already re-watching it.

Setting aside the incredibly sexy people and hilarious moments, I think the reason why so many people are obsessed with the show is that it's actually relatable during this time—everyone's banned from physical contact because of the quarantine.

Too Hot To Handle Netflix GIF by Comments By Celebs Giphy

I highly doubt the producers planned on releasing the series right in the middle of a global pandemic, when we're all depending on Netflix and TikTok to entertain us. Yet, watching the show, I was oddly able to find a connection between the sex-banned contestants and myself—along with others—in quarantine.

Being locked inside and unable to physically see others via stay-at-home orders and social distancing is like living at the 'Too Hot To Handle' Villa.

To put it lightly, not many of us are getting down and dirty.

It's pretty hard to get busy with someone while staying six feet away from them.

The purpose of the show is for the contestants, who are used to one-night-stands and afraid of commitment, to develop deeper connections with others as well as themselves. By withholding from getting hot and heavy, the contestants are supposed to experience what it's like to actually connect with someone on an emotional level, before connecting with them physically.

Hook-up culture has taken over.

Nowadays, it seems as if people explore their sexual compatibility with a person before they explore their emotional compatibility with them. It's even quite common for people—especially those ranging from the high-school age group to the early 30s—to prefer meaningless sex rather than actual relationships.

Just as many of the contestants had experienced, some of us are forming deeper connections with people via texting, video chatting, and other means; these are the only ways to socialize during this crazy time. When it comes to getting to know someone you're interested in (beyond friendship, I mean), we're pretty much prevented from skipping the emotional step and jumping to the physical elements.

Sex isn't bad and it's definitely an important part of every relationship.

But I still believe that it's meaningful to get to know someone on a deeper level instead of solely using your bodies to make yourselves feel connected.

By relying on getting to know a person before exploring how you two connect on a sexual level, we may be on our way to developing genuine relationships with people. Who knows? Even though it's frustrating, maybe having our own sex-ban isn't such a bad thing after all.

Matthew Harry GIF by NETFLIX Giphy