An Open Letter to My Best Friend

An Open Letter to My Best Friend

Because you are the only person who knows me better than I know myself.

51
An Open Letter to My Best Friend
Taylor Rinker

To my soul sister ~

You're often referred to as my best friend, my other half, my shoulder to cry on -- but you are so much more than that. In all senses, you are my soul sister. You are there for me through the ups and downs. You understand me better than anyone else, better than my own sisters at times. You can tell by just a look on my face what emotions I'm experiencing or the thoughts racing through my head. You know my likes and my dislikes and you don't hold it against me when we don't see eye to eye. You look out for me and you comfort me, you make me laugh and you sure as hell piss me off. You listen to me, genuinely, even though I talk about how hot Harry Styles is more than I probably should.

I don't think I tell you enough just how much you mean to me. You let me bitch and complain about the little things that are bothersome in my days, you celebrate my small triumphs with me and then we go all out for the bigger victories. You teach me how to be kind and to be a better, accepting person. When my heart is broken, you're the one I can rely on to help me regain the strength to pick up the pieces. You possess the qualities I lack and because of that we are a force to be reckoned with. I cherish that and I cherish you.

I love you. I love that you have the ability to totally turn my day around. I love your brutal honesty, like telling me when that shirt looked terrible on me or to get over the boy I thought I loved because he wasn't worth it. I love and appreciate you for letting me drive over to your house in the dark of night to again cry over that boy when my heart couldn't take the pain of missing him anymore. I love you for listening to me vent about all my emotions about him for hours and then telling me to suck it up when it was definitely far too long for me to be crying over him. I love our gym dates when we're both as red as tomatoes and sweatier than a greased hog. I love you for being my Valentine's date when boys suck and when we both need to eat good old comfort food at our favorite breakfast spot. I love our inside jokes and how we coincidentally dislike the same people. I love that you let me geek out about my passions even though they may not interest you but you act excited because it's something I love.

I thank you. I thank you for always being there for me no matter how busy you are. I thank you for making time for me even when your life is ten times busier than mine. I thank you for always being the person I can adventure with and the first person to want to get Coldstone with me whenever chance we get. Thank you for giving me a chance and getting to know me even though I am probably the weirdest person to be around. I thank you for always making sure that I am good; emotionally, mentally and physically. You have shown me what a true friend is even if we don't talk all the time or see each other as much as we'd like to.

I believe we all have soulmates and most people think that it's the person you're meant to be in love with and spend the rest of your life with. But what if your soulmate is the one person who gets you better than anyone? I believe your soulmate can be your best friend. So to my soul sister, my soul mate, my best friend; thank you for embracing life with me. Thank you for loving me when I'm stubborn and hard to love. Thank you for laughing hard with me, teaching me new makeup tricks and eating so much with me that we have to unbutton our pants. Thank you for being my best friend. I'm proud to know you and love you.