What Happened To The Dating Scene?

What Happened To The Dating Scene?

You compare the dating scene now to 15 years ago, you will notice that today's dating is strange...

183
What Happened To The Dating Scene?
Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

Today's dating mostly starts with a swipe right or left. Basically, if you mutually swipe right on a person that means you "match" and you can begin talking with this person. The whole dating app system is spoiling any idea of "dating" for teens today.

Apps like Tinder, Bumble, OKCupid, and even Grindr, are using this strategy of swiping because it is time-saving, and you don't have to scroll through millions of people at once, someone just pops up on your screen and you make a quick judgment on that person based on one thing. That one thing is a picture.

Immediately you swipe left or right depending if that picture appealed to you or not. This is basically telling people that it is okay to judge people based on their looks. This is destroying confidence in young adults, especially females. You get these mini bursts of confidence when you match with someone that quickly goes away with that person not replying to a message you sent them, or not messaging you first.

But say someone does message you back, things go good, you exchange snapchats/numbers, and you talk for a while. Pretty soon you find out you might not have the same intentions, they say everything is all good and you can remain to talk but all of a sudden you never hear from them again... In today's society, this is called ghosting.

Now, what do you have, someone who can't trust people in a romantic way because of being ghosted and someone who is confused on what went wrong and how everything happened so fast. So many people that use online dating apps are left in the dark about what's actually going on, and this is one of the main reasons why our generation has trust issues.

These dating sites are being used nowadays to boost egos and find hookups near you. Many of these teens going to meet their "tinder dates" are most likely going to end with sex, point blank. I hate to be blunt, but its the cold hard truth. Young adults going on these "tinder dates" are all and all just going to hookup with someone they haven't even known for a day. Now I'm not saying this is true for every person on tinder, but most of the times, this is it how it ends.

I'm not against these apps at all, but that being said, I think we need to rethink how we are using them and how that effects us in the long run.