Mother letter

To The Woman Who Made Me Who I Am Today

Thank you for being my crazy, hilarious, "ball-buster" of a mother.

174

Mom,

I know I'm not around as much because of school, but I wanted to let you know that you're always on my mind.

I wanted to say thank you for everything you have done for me so far. From being my best friend, to being my rock that keeps me going through the everyday struggles of life. I know you'll always be there when I need you, even when it's 4 in the morning and I wake you by texting you about piercings I want.

I don't say it enough, but I appreciate you and the things you're willing to do to make me happy. You took the time to write me the letter that I still have in my phone case before I flew to Iceland for a week, just reminding me of all the things you've told me before. I read it every time I'm struggling or just want to remember what your handwriting looks like.

I want to apologize for any of the times I've made you cry with stupid words, or for the times I didn't listen to what you told me. I didn't mean any of the mean things I may have said to you and I hope you always know that I love you.

Without you, I wouldn't have been the person I am today. You made me strong, you made me compassionate, and you also made me hilarious, so thank you for that. If I didn't have you, I would be stuck in so many terrible situations, surrounded by the wrong people, but you always knew when a friend would last and when it wouldn't, so thank you for always warning me of what might happen.

I also want to let you know that even though I'm sad sometimes, I can always count on you to make things better. Whether it's with a phone call or driving two hours to come steal me away on a Saturday, knowing we'd just have to turn around and drive back the next day. I don't always tell you thank you for that, so thank you.

Thank you for being my crazy, hilarious, "ball-buster" of a mother. I know I can always count on you to rough someone up a bit when they get out of line, or whenever they decide not to stick around in my life anymore.

I love that you're my best friend, but you're a mother first. You teach me things about life while simultaneously helping me discover things on my own. You were the one who taught me that people watching is one of my favorite things and trying to narrate the lives of people we know nothing about is crazy fun.

I don't know what I would do without you. I wouldn't have anyone to sing country songs with and then immediately follow it with an old song from the 2000s. I promise I will still call you every single day, no matter how hectic life gets, and you will always be my go-to when I find out some crazy news about people we both know. You're my girl, always and forever.

I love you all day and I love you all night.

Your Daughter