An Open Letter To Those Who Bully

An Open Letter To Those Who Bully

Stop Bullying Now and Make A Difference

66
An Open Letter To Those Who Bully
Lehigh Valley Marketplace

To those who bully, insult, and/or make fun of others,

What you do is not right, and it leaves behind scars all over. What you do leaves behind bruises on the skin that will never disappear. What you do leaves behind thoughts constantly running through minds that you have traumatized. What you do leaves behind sleepless nights filled with worry about what the next day will bring. What you do leaves behind fear and self-doubt. What you do leaves behind tears guilt and regret that should not even be there to begin with. What you do leaves behind stains on arms and legs. What you do leaves behind...pain, not just in the victims, but in everyone around you.

Did you ever think about how your actions and/or words can affect others? Did you ever think about how it would make them feel, inside and outside? Did you ever think that your “jokes” are not really jokes to many other people? Did you ever think about how much it can hurt someone? Did you ever think about the worst that could happen, that people can take their own lives because of things you say or do?

It’s time you learned your lesson; it's time that you understand. They live their lives just like everyone else, just like you. They all have great potential, with light shining all over to make the world a better place. But then you put them down into darkness. You don’t seem to care about them at all. Maybe you’d feel bad or have a change of heart if you stopped being blind and opened up to their lives. Walk in their shoes. Open up your eyes and see the world from where they stand. You’d see worlds filled with pain, fear, grief, anxiety, depression, scars, etc, all because you put them down.

But what about this? What if they had a lot going on in their lives as it is? You’d just be making the situation worse. Look at that 5th grader. She’s had an anxiety disorder since 2nd grade, and you’re adding the depression factor. Look at that college history/pre-law major. She’s bipolar, has been sexually harassed, and doesn’t always feel loved by her own family. You just make her feel worse. Look at that college student who’s a mental health activist. She’s also bipolar, has attempted to take her own life years ago, and now, you’re putting her down with mean comments, just for trying to live a normal life while making a difference. It was a struggle for her to get out of that dark place, and you put her back there.

We all want a peaceful world where we can be happy, but you don’t make it possible. You bring sadness, hurt, judgement, and anger into this world. Don’t you want to live a happy life? Don’t you want peace? How can you expect the world to be like that unless you bring it yourself? If you bring peace and happiness, it will be brought back to you. Treat others the way you would want to be treated, and then everyone will be happy.

Just because you feel cool doesn’t mean that what you do is cool. Bullying is just not right; it’s flat out wrong. You need to stop, and if you stop, everyone else will stop too. Open your eyes to everyone’s lives around you. Who knows, maybe you’ll make a new friend who’ll be your best friend. Or, maybe you’ll find someone who’s going through the same things you may be going through. Everyone has a chance to make a difference, but do you want to be remembered as the one who put others down? Or do you want to be remembered as the one who brought people up when they fell? The choice may be yours, but do what’s right. It’s better off in the long run.