An Open Letter To Those That Left Me Behind

To those that just don't get it and never will.
152

To those that for some reason just don't get it,

I don't know if you know this but you make me feel like I'm not worth anything sometimes. I do my absolute best to ensure that your needs are taken care of and that I'm being the best friend I could possibly be and then you turn around and call someone else your best friend. You tell others that this person is who you rely on for comfort and happiness. What about all those times I went out of my way to make sure you were okay?

Don't get me wrong, this isn't all about you recognizing what I've done for you this is about you recognizing that I exist in any capacity. Here's my issue, you only call me upon me when it's convenient for you. You only see me as a friend in the moment that my existence benefits you. I was your "best" friend up until you found someone else, then I was just a person you knew.

When I first starting getting left behind, I didn't think much of it until it started to become the norm. I was confused and wondering what I did wrong. You pulling away only made me try harder to be your friend until it became one of the most exhausting things I have ever experienced.

I couldn't be the one who did everything when you were doing nothing because all it caused me in the end was hurt. I was left half-empty wondering when I was going to be made whole again.

This sparked a change in me. I started making my own rules and I decided that I was going to be the person I deserved to be and find the best friend I deserved to have. I started telling you no and being more concerned about my well-being than yours.

I'm okay now. I realized that the hurt wasn't worth it. You? You still just don't get it.