To The Undetermined Major

To The Undetermined Major

Advice to the Undetermined Major.

44
To The Undetermined Major
Kortney Squibbs

Hey! I am here to help you with one of the most important decisions in your life. Your major. Some people do not realize how critical this is for later in life. But, if you don’t know yet, it is not the end of the world. Usually the first year of college consists of mostly general education courses that all students at the university or college are required to take. You definitely have enough time to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life.

So let us start with the most important things to help you. What do you enjoy to do, and what is your passions? Do you enjoy to do art, or does your science class really interest you? Is your passion music or is your passion to help people? Is your passion something you want to do for the rest of your life? These are some of the few things that you need to ask yourself. But there are also other options available to help you make this decision.

At Youngstown State, we have Career Services. In this office, we have advisors and counselors that help students find classes to help them decide on a major. Also, we are connected with a site called myplan.com. Which they have online quizzes to help students decide and understand the different majors. Some schools even have courses set up to help students find their passion in life. Many students do not know what they want to do, so DON’T fret. The last and final tip I can give, is take advantage of what your university or college has to offer. Go to career fairs, events, and get involved in school. One of my friends joined choir her first year in college, and soon after she realized that she wanted to sing for the rest of her life, and changed her major to Music Education. She seems happier now that she is doing something she loves.

Also, if you have chosen a major but is not so sure that this is what you want to do, Keep an open mind and do not be upset if you decide to change. I know countless people that have changed their major more than once. So live life, enjoy school, and DO WHAT YOU LOVE. I promise you won’t regret it!