To The Person Who Feels Like They're in a One-Sided Friendship

Your well-being and happiness are also important and I’m sorry they don’t tell you that.

667
Angelo Tigol

You find yourself in a position of taking care of others without ever hearing a “thank you”. You’re the one who does most of the listening and is talked at rather than talked to. You do everything in your power for them and respond immediately to their cries for help but for some reason when the roles are switched you are disappointed by their lack of help and concern for you. You feel a sense of imbalance because when it comes to these kinds of friendships it feels like you care too much about them but they don’t care too much about you.

In this friendship, you believe that you’re being taken advantage of and that it’s your fault for getting involved. When you go to your other friends about this issue, they tell you to just drop that friend because that friend doesn’t care about you. But for some reason when you consider leaving the friendship, you feel a sense of guilt. You remember the times when people had given up on you and realize that you don’t want to do the same. However, you still find yourself mentally burned out, physically exhausted and almost at the verge of tears. You feel so unappreciated and you’re beginning to question why you even try so hard. But where do you go from here?

Remember, sometimes appreciation can be forgotten when everyone becomes constantly absorbed in the little and big things going on in their lives. But communicating to them about how you feel unappreciated can help save the friendship. If your friend comes to you saying that the friendship feels one-sided please don’t get mad but tell them how much you love and appreciate them instead.

As the friend that tends to forget to tell her friends she appreciates them, I just want to say that I really do appreciate all of you who have always been there. You have proven time and time again that you are the kind of friend that will continuously be there through the good and the bad. I’m sorry for forgetting to give you these words of affirmation and that I never seem to be concerned for your well-being and happiness. I promise to put more effort to give you the same amount of love you give me, if not more.

Thank you for being the kind of person who loves compassionately and freely. Thank you for always seeing the good in everyone all the time. Thank you for being someone I can constantly rely on. Thank you for loving me even when I don’t deserve it because that’s who you are, you’re a good friend.