To The Parents Who Weren't My Best Friends

Did I ever tell ya I'm grateful for you?

32

Anyone who knows me knows how much love I have for my parents—the people who are always there for me, the people who support me in whatever I do, the people who believe in me even when I can’t seem to believe in myself and the people who love me with more love than I knew a heart could hold. They are the people I am constantly in awe at, constantly thankful for, and constantly talking about every single second, just because they truly are the best and luckiest things this life gave me. As cliché as it sounds, without their love, their guidance, and their unconditional support, I don’t think I would be where or who I am today; loving the things I do, being able to reach the things I dream of, and simply being the person with the morals and views I hold so close to me. And as grateful as I am for their lifelong love, support, and friendship—what I ultimately find myself being the most grateful for was the role they played in my life growing up as my parents. Mom and Dad, thank you. Thank you for being my parent first, the people to teach me tough love, discipline, manners, and selflessness, before befriending me and giving me whatever I asked for in times you knew best that it wasn’t what I needed to grow.

You guys are the definition of guidance and stability. When I am lost, I instantly call or text you to let my worries and concerns all in your lap, because I know your wisdom and guidance will help me find my way. You guys are the definition of love. From the minute I was born, you have shown me how to love a person—how to put the people you love first and never take a single second with them for granted. You guys are the definition of selfless. You put everyone before yourselves—making sure everyone is taken care of before you even think to wonder if you are. You are the definition of happiness. You find light, positivity, and reasons to smile in every day—bad or good. You are the definition of good morals, you taught me manners, right from wrong, how to carry myself, how to be respectful, how to be polite, how to act mature. You are the definition of GOOD parents, who despite how much grief and disagreement I gave you growing up, are the sole reason I am able to stand up for myself, know my way through a decision, follow my dreams, chase after the things I want, love the people in my life, and appreciate everything life throws at me.

When I think back on my childhood, I think back on all the grief I gave you. All the times I said you didn’t know what you were talking about, all the times I swore I was right and you two were so old fashioned, all the times I swore you just “didn’t get it.” And now, I look back and wonder where the heck I would be if you had been a friend and not a parent. Ones who gave me whatever I wanted instead of forcing me to see morals, see patience, see the world from one that didn’t revolve around me. I wonder where I would be if it hadn’t been for you instilling in me every piece of love, respect, faith, and principle that you did. When I look back on my childhood, I regret all the times I doubted you or disagreed with you. But I am grateful for you and your big hearts for pushing me to my limits, encouraging me to do more for others, and always reminding me and guiding me to do what is right and to follow my heart.

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for being my parents first and then my best friend. It’s easy to want to give the people you love your whole world, it's easy to give in to your kid and spoil them like no other. its not so easy to remember your roots, and instill such indefinable respect, life lessons, and unmatchable examples and shoes to follow for your kids. Thanks for pushing me, believing in me, loving me, and giving me opportunities and life lessons that will take me much further in this life than that cell phone I never got in fifth grade when I swore “but everrrryone had one except for me.”

Thanks for being the parents that built me into a person I am proud to be just because it means saying that I was raised by the two most honorable people I know; and thanks for now, being the supportive lifelong friends you are-- that fill my heart and my life with SO much appreciation, joy, and love. I’m not sure what I will ever do without you, but I do know that I am positive that I never want to find out. Always remember that I love you and appreciate you more than life will ever allow me to show you.