To The Overthinker

To The Overthinker

A message for those who need it.

19
To The Overthinker
The Mind Unleashed

The first time I started overthinking about something unnecessary was most likely in middle school. It was probably about something dumb that I had said in class that I was judged for, and for weeks I couldn’t help but wonder what people had thought about me because of that one moment. People’s opinions were important to me, and back then, I really did aim to please everyone that I knew. I knew not everyone that I’d meet would like me, but I wanted to be friends with people and didn’t know how to initiate that besides drawing attention to myself, whether that was in a smart or dumb way. Now I know that this was a stupid way to go about things, but at the time it seemed smart because I thought about it too much and just wanted to be accepted by others.

Overthinking, in this case, was me wanting to change myself because I thought that was how I would get more people to like me. From changing clothing styles and handwriting, to how I treated my friends, there was something deeper in my mind that I couldn’t figure out. Later I’ve realized that it was just the thought and want of being accepted. I could write a whole new article about how middle school impacted my life, but the main focus here is how overthinking can change one’s outlook on life.

As years went on, I found myself panicking over simple things a lot more often. From things like worrying if I’m being too annoying if I text someone first, to what my mom would say when she found out I couldn’t make a simple, professional phone call because phone calls like that stress me out. Whatever the occasion was, I would probably overthink it at least twice.

To this day I still overthink things that I shouldn’t be worrying about. I’ve questioned my major, my college decision, my job, some of my friend choices, the color of my bedroom walls (which are bright pink and very outdated, so I guess this is something I actually should change) and sometimes even these articles because I don’t know if they seem scattered or organized when I write them, when they’re usually fine.

I know I’m not the only one who overthinks nearly everything. Whether you’ve overthought your own opinions on yourself, your life, or anything else, please know that I’ve been there too and that you’re not alone. I’ve stressed myself out and have given myself anxiety time and time again on things that are out of my control because I just want things to go well in my life, and have felt that I’m the only one that can do that at times. But, there is no benefit in worrying about things.

If I could offer a piece of advice to anyone reading this that shares the same struggle with overthinking as I do, it’s that everything happens for a reason. God has a plan for you, so you don’t have to worry about how your life is going to pan out. It’s so easy to worry about things like how we look or what people think about us, but Matthew 6:33-34 tells us to “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” Regardless of what your outlook on your own life is, God ultimately knows what’s best for you.

I know it’s not easy to do, but please stop worrying, stressing, and overthinking about how or when things are supposed to happen, or anything else that could be concerning you. The Bible teaches how to not be anxious in Philippians 4:6, “Do not be anxious about anything,but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”I’m still trying to fully comprehend this because I am an avid planner, and I like knowing how things are going to work out, but in the end it’s important to trust that God knows what He’s doing in your life without worry. Things will all work out in the end, and I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.