A letter to the my best friend, my love, my life
Parents

to the man who saved me

I love you to the moon and back.

331
to the man who saved me
Jamie Agosto

To the man who saved me…

I grew up in a community where everybody knew everybody, and your business was everyone's business. I had this expectation that I would be with the same guy from high school through college and for the rest of my life - that didn't happen and man am I glad. If it had I wouldn't have had the chance to meet you.

The man who put my heart back together time and time again, first as a stranger, then as my best friend, and then once again as the love of my life.

You came into my life at an unexpected time. I had just gone through a rough breakup and I was naive and young. I had no idea what God had in store for me, and I had no idea that you would become the greatest journey of my life. At 16, I thought that I knew it all, but in reality I was just in the beginning. You watched me as I finally learned how to date, as I had crushes on guys who would sing songs to me at lunch, guys who had fancy cars and a way with words, guys who went to the Navy, and guys at work.

You picked me up when they all let me down. Told me they were crazy for letting me go, letting me slip away, or just letting my feelings go unnoticed. Telling me this was letting me know that you cared. You told me stories about your girlfriend and how rough it could actually be. You let me know that I wasn't alone in my grief.

When I found someone who treated me right, you let me be happy. But when they left this world, and I was alone and cold, you were there to make sure I knew that they were still watching over me. You held me up and helped me take my first steps back into the world after a month long retreat.

Over the past three years you have been my best friend, my confidant, my rock, and eventually my boyfriend. You have watched me grow, make mistakes, ask for forgiveness, learn, live, love, and walk my own path.

You have helped me bear the weight of everything I have gone through, and you've never let me shoulder it alone. I remember when we first met, how bright your smile was. How light your eyes were and how happy you seemed to be.

I always thought, that is the kind of man that I want to love me.

You were weird and crazy. You were my best friend, and that's what made falling for you so easy.

And eventually you did. It took awhile, and I don't think either of us ever expected this to be the path we are on. Through prom nights, formals, family parties, holidays, long nights on-call, and friendship feuds we have survived it all.

You have become the glue that holds all my broken pieces together. Every time I have been hurt you have been there to help me through it. Even if that means standing on the sidelines cheering me on to fight my own battles, or charging in on the frontlines because I'm too hurt to do it myself.

You have taught me to better myself with all the things I do, you have supported me through all of my choices and made it known that you'll always be there.

So to the man who saved me from things I didn't know existed and from the pain that I faced — internal and external — I wanted to say thank you.

Thank you for all that you have done for me. Loving me and caring for me in the way that you have. I couldn't have gotten this far without you.

At the end of the day I knew that you were the one for me.