To The High School Friend Gone Too Soon

To The High School Friend Gone Too Soon

You will always be so very loved and missed.

150
To The High School Friend Gone Too Soon
Facebook

We never see how real, how close or how absolutely confining death is until it takes someone close to us out of nowhere. It leaves us in a state of confusion; although our head tries to conceptualize it all, it'll never fully accept it – not for a while, at least. Especially when they were taken far too soon.

I got the news this morning that you passed, but by the time this article posts, you'll have been gone for almost a week. I'm not even sure I know the whole story perfectly, but it doesn't matter—you're gone. And although I wished I knew the full-on story, I know it wouldn't give me a better understanding of why.

We went to middle school together, and you grew up in the neighborhood across the way from me. When we actually got close, however, didn't happen until just last year—our senior year of high school. AP English with Freeburg brought us together. By far my favorite class. By far one of the classes I'm now even more thankful for.

You made everyone in that class smile with your awkward humor. We read "A Streetcar Named Desire" and as you were chosen to read aloud, laughed to avoid the punishment and said, "I'm just getting into character." Freeburg thought it was funny enough to write down and stick on his wall of fame. Everyone in that class called you Steve, so you signed off the piece of paper as that. I hope it stays on that wall forever. It'll stick in my brain like that note on the wall forever, just like you will as well.

From there on out, we sat with each other in study halls and even on the plane back from Mexico for spring break. We weren't best friends, but seeing you every day and your overall presence in my life didn't, and won't, go unnoticed. My experience with you was a positive one through and through, as it was with so many more.

To the high school friend gone too soon: You reminded us all how fragile and temporary this life is. And as much as it sucks, it's true and important to realize.

To the high school friend gone too soon: When I emailed Freeburg the news, he responded back with this: "All the more reason to do good things with the time we have."

To the high school friend gone too soon: I know you'd agree with his words. You did so many good things with the mere 19 years you had. It's only fitting that we do good things, just has you had, with the x amount of years we have left, too.

To the high school friend gone too soon: We'll see you again whenever those x amount of years here come to their end.

To the high school friend gone too soon: Through the heartache and Heaven; through the hell and the ultimate hope; through the questions and, surely, Christ—you will always be so very loved and missed. It gives me peace knowing that the circumstances and timing of this death are minimal in comparison to the soul you were and are, and where that soul is now.

Rest in peace, Connor Glynn.

12/24/96 - 4/14/16