To The Girl Who Doesn't Think She's Pretty

You are wrong.
489

When I was younger, I remember constantly asking my mom if I was pretty. I asked her at least once a week growing up. I could tell she was annoyed most of the time, but she always answered the same way.

“Of course, Katie, you are gorgeous!”

I don’t have to ask her anymore if I’m pretty because I know what the answer will be.

When I was still in this phase of asking her all time, one Christmas she made me a blanket. The fabric had cartoon doll-like characters doing their hair and makeup. All over the fabric it said, “Gorgeous!”

My mom told me she made it for me so that I would always remember what she thought I am.

I still have the blanket today. I, of course, still have those moments where I want to ask if I’m pretty because I don’t believe that I am.

I know that not every little girl is lucky enough to have a mom who tells them that they’re pretty. I even know that there are some moms that criticize their daughter’s appearance, and this breaks my heart.

Now, I know that being pretty isn’t the only characteristic that is important to compliment. But I do believe that it is important to tell your daughters that they are beautiful, and to never forget it.

We all have features that we don’t appreciate about ourselves. We all have those days where we wake up, look in the mirror, and are disgusted with what we see. At least I know I do.

I have always hated how round my face is. I thought when I was younger that when I grew up, I would lose my baby fat, and grow into my round head. This was not the case. I still have a round face no matter what, and at this point, I have just learned to accept it.

I still sometimes look at pictures of myself and complain that I don’t like what I look like. My mom always yells at me. And when she does the same about pictures of herself I yell at her as well.

The point is to hold your female friends and family accountable for remembering their outer (and inner) beauty. There are always going to be people that you wished you looked like or features that you wished you had. But you must always remember that you are beautiful, no matter what you look like. God made us all unique, and I bet there is someone who wishes they looked like you do.

And I hope you know, even if your mother never told you, “You are gorgeous!”