To The Girl Going Through Her First Break-Up

Be the strong girl that you know you are.

153
The Unlost

You're going through a pretty tough split right now from your first real boyfriend. I know it hurts. Believe me, it's that sinking feeling in your stomach, and that sharp pain in your heart. You are convinced that you will never stop hurting from this. You are sure that you won't get over him, because there's nobody else in the world that will make you as happy as he did. You thought that you two would last forever. You had plans.

Listen to me. First, I need you to stop crying. Your precious little face is too pretty for tears. Your tears also should not be wasted on someone who smashed your caring heart, because he was careless. Quit the waterworks and take a deep breath.

Breathe. You probably won't agree with me right now, but this will definitely get better. Each and every day, you will heal little by little. The pain lessens by the hour. If you go to school with your ex, that will be a mix of awkward, heartbreaking, and rough. In a week's time or more, you will really wonder why you wasted so much time on the guy who crushed and hurt you. In 4 years, you will forget about him.

Take it from the girl who really knows.

I also need you to get rid of (or hide) any objects that make you think of him. Tuck away that necklace he gave you for your first anniversary. Put your pictures from your relationship in an old shoe box in your closet. Hell, if he hurt you that badly, burn those pictures. They take up precious space. I still have my pictures from my stupid high school fling that need to be burned. Once you burn them or even throw them out, you'll feel SO good, like a tremendous burden has been lifted off of your shoulders.

Next, I need you to go out and buy a tub of ice cream. Binge-watch some movies on Netflix that will make you laugh really hard. Enjoy that ice cream, and focus on the movies. It's a way to get your mind off of him. Avoid rom-coms. Trust me, that will make you feel a lot worse, and you'll start crying again. Forget it. Like I said, do not waste your tears on someone who isn't worth your time. He hurt you. He doesn't deserve your attention.

Trying to get through this will certainly not be easy. Time heals all wounds, but sometimes it can take a while. Occupy your time with the people who really matter. Spend some quality time with your family, or go to the mall and hang out with your best friends. You need a day or two out with the girls. Buy something you love, just because you want to. Have some fun. When the mind is occupied, it tends to forget about the painful and sad things. You have to live in the moment, so don't wander around in the past. Your old relationship is in the past for a reason.

God has a plan for you, love. You're so young. Be patient.

Your ex was just not part of your plan. And guess what? That's okay! You have to kiss a bunch of frogs to find your prince.

I know your heart is still broken, and you wonder when it will ever be full again. It will be complete when you find your way, and when you realize that you're so much better off without him. Look, it took me a long time to figure that out. It took me 4 months to know that I am much better by myself. I didn't need him anymore. He never loved me for who I was. He only loved making me feel inferior. He always blamed me for his mistakes, and made me feel like I was nothing. After the second break-up, you'd think I would have left him.

High school would have been so much more enjoyable, fun, and so full of happiness without him in the picture. Yes, I still loved high school, but he just loved to ruin parts of the experience. I never deserved him, and he never deserved me. It took me 3 years of an on-and-off roller coaster relationship to figure that out. And it sucks that it had to be that way.

But everything happens for a reason.

So, you need to know that. Always remember that. Seriously, believe that I know how you feel. I truly can imagine the heartbreak and confusion that you have to face. But you have bigger and better things planned for you ahead. Your future is even brighter. You will find someone great, and he will treat you the way you deserve to be treated. I really understand that it's tough right now, and you're hurting. The hurting will go away eventually. You got this!

Be the strong girl that you know you are, and show him what he lost.