To The Friend Who Is Settling

To The Friend Who Is Settling

You love this person, I know how hard it is to walk away, but trust me you should.

23
To The Friend Who Is Settling
Reader's Digest

I can only ask you why. Why do you not see that you are so much better than what you are allowing yourself to be treated? Why do you choose to stay with someone who treats you so piss poor? Why are you settling for second best?

I have seen you go through so many different relationships, each time knowing that that person wasn’t right for you. I have sat back and watched you be called names, yelled at, hit it, and made to feel like you were nothing. I honestly can just not understand why you let it happen.

I know I am not one to talk. I’ve let myself be treated poorly many times. I have stayed with someone who was not right for me and I have been treated like I was nothing---and it sucks. But you are not nothing, you are everything.

No one deserves to not feel happy or safe in a relationship. I get that you love this person and I know how hard it is to walk away, but trust me when I say that you will feel so much better when you do. It will feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of your shoulders. You will look back at that relationship and ask yourself why you stayed to begin with---I know I have.

You may feel like you have no one. You may say that you will never find anyone else---and maybe that that’s what he/she is telling you. But I promise you, you WILL find someone else. I am a huge believer in that there is someone out there for everyone. I’m going to go ahead and quote Seeley Booth from “Bones” for a second and say---“There is someone out there for everyone, someone you are meant to spend the rest of your life with. You just have to be open enough to find it.”

AKA...don’t be afraid to find it. Don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself. Don’t be afraid to say enough is enough and walk away. I know there are probably good times with this person because there’s obviously some reason that you’re staying with them, but a couple good times does not trump all of the bad.

You are so much more than what you are allowing yourself to be treated as. You are an amazing person, inside and out and deserve all the love and happiness in the world---I just don’t think that it’s with this person.

I know it’s easier said and done and nothing that I can say can make you change your mind when you already have your mind made up, but I just want you to know that there are better people out there. And you will find that person someday. I personally cannot wait for that day because I cannot wait to see the happiness in your eyes and know that it’s not a cover up.

I love and care about you deeply and I just wish that you would stop settling and move on to someone who is going to treat you the way you deserve to be treated.