To The Freshman Girl Not Rushing This Year

I'm right with you.

1714
Wikimedia

I have nothing against Greek Life. In fact, I only applied to schools with a Greek Life presence on campus to open up the opportunity for me to be involved if I ever decided to. Now that I am in college, I have chosen not to rush this year. If you are in the same boat, well, I am right here with you.

During recruitment weekend, it stinks that campus feels so empty because you feel like you are one of the very few people who stayed behind. And it's so much harder when you have friends that are all going through the process and talk about all the sororities. You realize how many other girls are actually rushing, and start to wonder "should I have done it, too?"

If you were rushing and decided to drop because 1) you did not feel you would fit in with the options you had left or 2) you felt being in a sorority was not for you, just know you are not the only one. And, if you ever decide to change your mind or want to try again, there is always Sophomore year.

I feel comfortable with my decision. I admit, though, social media does not always help. It often makes me think if I am missing out on a big chunk of my college experience. But I am happy. Relieved, almost. A lot of people believed I would be rushing and join a sorority in college because of the "kind of person I am". But like you, me, and all the other girls out there who aren't rushing this year, this is just our way of finding ourselves.