To The College Kid Who Takes A Break

To The College Kid Who Takes A Break

It's okay. Seriously.

10
To The College Kid Who Takes A Break

Dear Reader,

If you are someone that is taking a break from college either by choice or by force, know this: it's okay. Seriously, in a world that prioritizes a 24/7 lifestyle it's good to know that you understand that you need this. Life is strange and can take an unexpected turn,as a 20-year-old who constantly asks "what's next" and "What do I need to do now?" it's good that I'm going to take a semester off for the "real world". This world will consist of me working and learning who I am without the identity of Columbia College behind me, plus it's good practice for post-grad when I'll be on my own yet again. I've had to learn to be more like water and go with the flow, life is not always how we think it will be.

So often the #collegestruggle consists of panic attacks, large depressive episodes, periods of binging and abstaining from food and harsh bouts of self-hate. Yuu have to think yourself out of that and learn to find worth in yourself and in other identities. It's scary, it's terrifying and it goes against everything that we've been taught but the only person that your letting down is yourself. We are often losing time because we're not stopping to "smell the flowers" and enjoy where we are. We stop doing what we love like reading and writing, photography, video work, art exhibits and cooking. We forget who we are in the hustle and bustle until one day we're walking across a stage with a piece of paper spending the last night in our college dorm and crying because we don't remember where the years went. This break is a good thing, flow with it and accept that this was an unforeseen miracle. Breaks are needed, they aren't a luxury. This break caused by lack of financial aid, stress and anxiety or self love is so good for your health. You need time to adjust, to understand where you are and if where you are is where you truly want to be. We are constantly asking ourselves what we can give to others, how we can help them and feeling guilty when we realize that we don't want to. We are so busy encouraging and motivating our friends, supporting our family and pushing our classmates that we are too exhausted to focus on what we need to give to ourselves. Take this time to live in your purpose to be rooted in your body and aware of the world around you. Ask yourself "how can I relieve stress?" or "what can I do to make sure that my mental and emotional health is being taken care of?" Once you've made the list you should do it. Take that nap, stretch your legs and take a walk. Check that book out from the library and learn to be selfish. We must reserve time for ourselves and if this time comes in the form of a semester or year off then learn to make a door out o a window. Don't focus on feeling like a failure for understanding what you need and how that takes precedence. Like I said before, it's okay. It can be hard to relinquish control and alter the vision that we've always had for ourselves. We have to understand that sometimes we need to sit in the driver's seat and let things run their course. I know it freaks you out, I know that this is unexplored territory but let go and enjoy.