DEAR COLLEGE FRESHMAN GRADES ARE NOT EVERYTHING

COLLEGE IS SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST STUDYING AND MAKING PERFECT GRADES.

19

Dear College Freshman,

You are in for one heck of a ride these next four or five years are going to be the best. I know that the first day can seem a bit scary, but it will fly by and before you know it those scary feelings will just disappear. This is going to be the most challenging year but I know you can do it.

I want you to know that you are going to fail and that is okay. Just remember to always get back up and never quit. You are going to fail tests and that is okay. Do not ever let a bad grade on one test determine your grade in the class. Always focus on the big picture, and when you do fail, learn from it and do better the next time.

Now that you are in college you do not have mom or dad to "baby" you anymore. Sure, you can skip class and now your parents will not be here to make sure that you go. However, skipping class has consequences such as failing that class because let's be real how can you pass if you do not go. Also, going to class prepares you for the real world which I am sure that is the last thing you are thinking of, but I can assure you that you will quickly go there if you start failing all of your classes. So, just take my advice and ALWAYS go to class.

I know you are going to struggle to find time for everything. Just know it is okay to take time for yourself. Always get your homework done and always study, but do not forget that self-care is just as important. There will be times when you feel like you are drowning in schoolwork, but I cannot express how important it is to take time for yourself. Believe it or not but taking time to take care of yourself can help you be more successful in the classroom.

I know that transitioning into college can be challenging, but just know that grades are not everything. It is okay if you fail test just get back up and do it better next time. Over this next year take some time to do what brings you joy. College is about finding out who you are, and I promise if all you do is homework you will have a hard time finding yourself.

The best advice I have for you is always do your best. While studying might be important grades are not everything. Do things that are out of your comfort zone, join that club, go on that date, whatever it may be go for it. So, when you fail that first test just know that it does not determine your success and keep on going.