Why There Is Nothing Wrong With Being Yourself

When did being original become out of style? Because T-Swift said it never does!

451
Ciara Smith

Going through life, we tend to struggle with "finding ourselves" -- whatever that really means. Adults always mention, "you don't really know yourself until your 20's" but, is that necessarily true? In some cases, sure. But nobody really ever knows -- it's not a height requirement on an amusement ride or a legal age to drink in a country. The circumstances differ, as do the people, and I am here to ensure you that it's okay to not know yet, I do not know myself, but I'm working on my path, and you can too.

The first and easiest thing to identify with yourself is to establish your likes and your dislikes. I am nottalking about your self-esteem boost from your Facebook or Instagram likes. We all have an idea of what we like and do not like, for example: I love pizza, but I do not like tomatoes. Yes, this is a real example of my life, and yes I am aware that pizza contains tomato sauce, but I am able to know what I like and what I don't like. As this was a simple example, this can still apply to all aspects of your life. When I first started college, I had no idea who I was, and with my senior year approaching I am still not completely confident now. Although knowing what you like and what you don't like can help you weed through people, decisions, and choices you could possibly make in the future.

Another important factor that I think helps identify yourself is the company that you keep. Although this might not be right or fair to everyone, some people may judge you depending on the company that you keep or hang around. You change as you get older and there is nothing wrong with that, my friends and I were just discussing the other day how it's interesting you think you need a million friends while growing up, and once you reach your 20's and 30's you are okay with your close knit party of five friends, that you can depend on no matter what. I am not saying that is a friend limit you can have, but I am saying there is a difference between a lifelong friend and your summer co-workers you see every day. The people you hang around and spend the most time with, are the biggest influences on yourself whether you realize it or not. For me I didn't meet my friend who is my other half until college, but you could have met yours as a child or teen. Make sure to keep them close, stay supportive and truthful to them, as they should do the same to you. These factors alone could change your social life for sure, and not all change is bad, change is just something you encounter in life and have to find a way to accept it.

The final advice I would like to give is to find your own happiness. Since being at university, I have learned the importance of how short life really is. Being spontaneous and taking risks (not normally something I do) have changed my perceptive and way of living. If I wanted to go so a movie on campus and none of my friends did, I didn't stay in my dorm and binge-watch Netflix, I went out and saw the movie on my own. I learned to not care or follow what others do, and that is one of the most rewarding feelings is to not constrict your wants or goals for anything. Of course there may be obstacles you will faces and have to overcome but still have that determination pushing you through.

I still may not know exactly who I am as a person, but I can definitely testify that I have come a long, long way. These three pieces of advice are not going to tell you who you are or what role you play in society, but they will help you grow and learn more about your true self, and honestly, if this is the farthest I get about knowing my true self, then I can completely say that I am okay with that.