To My Little Sister, When You Start To Worry

Read this.

913
Gianna Rappa Photography

As an older sibling, it is a part of my unspoken responsibility to make sure you don’t make the same mistakes I have made.

In all honesty, I’m shocked I haven’t had to help you through many problems thus far. I guess I should have had a little more faith in your capabilities as an independnt, but part of me liked underestimating you just so you could prove me wrong; can’t tell if that’s a sweet or sick mindset to have. You’ve managed to magically bypass an awkward stage filled with fashion faux pas and awkward text conversations, so all I am left to do is to make sure you don’t worry. Life gets overwhelming, and to ensure it doesn’t get the best of you, I’ve written an overtly sappy letter on living life as carefree and thoroughly as possible—with a few of my own sisterly tips. Hope you like it.

To My Little Sister,

Find home in your heart.

For a home is not just paper-thin walls or creaky wood floors, it is much more. Think of it like this, one place could not possibly handle the lifetime of experience you wish to endure...you were made to explore. Remind yourself of this rationale: It is just familiarity you find security in. A real home is defined by love and the people you surround yourself with. Treasure your relationships.

Do not dread change, embrace it.

For every change symbolizes newly acquired freedom...It’s the type of independence that decorates your body with radiating confidence, and makes you more eager than ever to speak.

Keep talking. I’ll listen.

Don’t worry, I’ll listen.

I'll always be here to listen.

Let your excitement overwhelm you, and never forget to appreciate the feeling of nervous butterflies in your stomach. True happiness comes from living freely.

Let your fear of loneliness only stray as far as the distance between your nose and lips. The width of a finger. For you will soon realize the true beauty in submission, and the feeling of exhilaration that comes with "going with the flow." Your fingers hold more power than you have yet to understand. Relinquish your mind's control, and surrender to your impulses. Let your hands be your guide.

Turn pages and doorknobs.

Hold boxes, books, and hands.

Reach further, further, and further.

Live with purpose. For the memories you create are the closest thing to true permanence. Laugh until your stomach aches, and wear your smile like your favorite accessory. File away your most valuable moments, carefully and methodically. Keep them at your disposal, with the hope someone will ask about them in casual conversation. Your memories will become your best stories.

Don't let your shoes sink into the mud of the past, and always keep your head high. While you may be pricked by thorns, or slip and fall on occasion, remember your pain is only temporary. Pain was my greatest teacher, and odds are it will be yours too. Wisdom builds with experience.

And Little Sister, remember, be true to yourself. For the person you have grown to become is too precious to ever be tarnished by insecurities or self-doubt. Lead a life that is nothing less than exceptional, because Little Sister you deserve nothing less.

Love you always.