"To Protect And To Serve"

"To Protect And To Serve"

What's your emergency?

3137
"To Protect And To Serve"

The motto “To Protect and to Serve” is a statement that has been adopted as the motto for the majority of police officers in the United States. This statement, however, was not initially the case. The history behind the famous phrase has its origin in Los Angeles, as the motto of the LAPD, ironically enough. This phrase became popularized by various movies and television shows that were meant to exemplify the bravery of police officers.

This summer, however, our country has been forced to question what the motto "To Protect and to Serve" actually means. In a nation that prides itself on the illuminating beacons that are democracy and freedom, it has established feelings of mistrust and a lack of safety amongst its citizens. This year, with the help of the media, the actions of police departments are facing a lot of scrutiny. This has caused a lot of pressure for reform for not only the police departments but for the American social justice system in general.

Servitude is the giving of oneself for the well-being of others. This appears to be something that some have forgotten. It is disheartening that there has not been a week this summer where an “alleged” incidence of injustice has not been enacted by an officer. These cases show that some have forgotten the true meaning of that sensationalized motto, "To Protect and to Serve."

I was reminded this weekend that the statement of service in the police motto is not always upheld. Service does not always have to entail making a huge difference in someone’s life; the act of service could be as simple as helping a lost dog find its way home. Maybe this hypothetical dog is a beautiful Collie that is blissfully running up to cars hoping that the inhabitants will play with her, a dog that causes a 20-car backup only because it needs to find her beloved owner. This hypothetical pooch turned out to be real, and this weekend I had the pleasure of witnessing her in action. After watching this dog go from car to car attempting to lick every window, I finally mustered the courage to go and get the dog from the street. This is where I called the police, hoping that they would be of some assistance. Apparently I hoped for too much! The dispatcher found the house that the dog belonged to and essentially told me to take her there. I was completely shocked. I did not expect to receive such an apathetic response.

To be in a position of power means that one has the love and respect of those which they serve. This is what makes the position of a police officer so great! Although my case was that of apathy instead of injustice, it seems rather sad to know that there are a few who have disregarded the joys of servitude for the emptiness of self-power. My hope is that through the various tragedies that have occurred our society and social justice systems can make a progressive step towards actualizing the famous motto of the LAPD for all citizens, “To Protect and to Serve” .