Older Siblings

Older Siblings

What we all know and what our younger siblings need to understand.

32
Older Siblings

A lot of us out there hopefully know what it's like to be an older siblings. I have soon to be five siblings and only one is older than me, they and I however didn't really grow up together but that is besides the point to this article. Everyone who has ever been an older sibling knows about the heartache, the love, the pride and the disappointment at times we feel for our siblings. Like I said I have four younger siblings one of them being on the way; Two of these siblings I grew up very close with from the moment they were born and although I'd lay down my life to protect any of my siblings it is these two that I tend to bond with more.

As older siblings we all know that amazing feeling when we first meet our siblings. How happy we are that we have a new friend who looks like us, someone for us to play with and boss around. It's hard for some to imagine if they were younger and I may not remember either but I can't imagine ever feeling any different about my siblings being born. It just gives you an opportunity to make a difference in someones life and be their role models. From the moment they are born with out meaning literally, our siblings look up to us for guidance and help. They will come to us when they don't trust anyone else and we have to make sure we keep that bridge open and toll free.

Now on top of being their role models we also have this explainable need to always protect them no matter what the situation is or who we're up against. Countless times if I even heard that someone said the most irrelevant but mean thing to my siblings I was ready to pounce. We're older we were born first it's out job to take care of them isn't it? It's like we turn into wild animals protecting their herd or clan or flock. We can't help but make sure we all stick together and no one gets hurt.

It's hard being an older sibling though too. If something goes wrong you feel like it's your fault; Like you didn't do your job as the older one. Whether it's them failing a class, getting in a fight, or just making bad choices. You feel as if you let them down and weren't there for them enough when they needed you. You start to worry about things like did you always say "Please and Thank you", or if you said "I love you" enough or congratulated them on all their accomplishments.

I know what I'm talking about may sound like being a parent but it's our job to do those things for them too. We have to stand by our siblings and make sure they get the life we all deserve. We are the ones you help lead them down the path our parents pave for us. They need our support just as much as our parents.

People will tell you how great having siblings are, and it is. To be able to sit there and watch this tiny little thing grow up before your eyes and remember all the trouble you caused together as kids and see them all grown up and starting their own life, making their own decisions, it's the best feeling in the world, but there is pain that comes along with that as I mentioned. You have to be prepared for the good and the bad because there will come a day where if it's all been good you will get the bad and you have to just remember that you once loved and cared for that person like no one else. No matter what happens they are your real best friends forever.

No matter what happens between you and your siblings don't let it last long to get out of control. You need them just as much as they need you. Don't be stubborn and let pride get in the way. Tell your siblings you love them after you read this, younger or older. If they are older, ask them questions about you guys growing up and thank them for being there for you, if they are younger just remind them of how much they mean to you no matter how much of a pain they can be from time to time.

To my siblings if you read this. I love you guys so much. I hope you know what I have done and would do for you.