To Our Beloved Ohio Sports Teams

To Our Beloved Ohio Sports Teams

Let's take a moment to appreciate how far we've come and where we can go.

52
To Our Beloved Ohio Sports Teams

To Our Beloved Ohio Sports Teams,

What a transformation three years can make. Just three years ago, our state was a laughing stock. The Cleveland Browns continued to be the Cleveland Browns, losing every other game it felt like. The Cleveland Cavaliers lost in the NBA finals. The Cincinnati Reds came in last in their division. The list could go on, but 2018 has proven to be quite a year, especially the past week, and we are not even half way through the year yet.

Even if you are someone who is not into sports or just a casual fan like myself, you have to admit that it is nice to have one of our teams win a championship or celebrate a new achievement. 2015 did give us that initial glimmer of hope in Ohio where the Cleveland Cavaliers went to the NBA finals, falling short in Game Six to the Golden State Warriors.

In 2016, we saw the Cavaliers win the NBA finals which broke the "Cleveland curse." We also saw the first full season of a new soccer team in Cincinnati called FC Cincinnati where they began consistently drawing record-breaking crowds, won playoff matches, and competed in international friendly matches, exposing the new team to opponents globally. We also saw the Cleveland Indians reach the World Series, and we saw the Cleveland Monsters win the Calder Cup in minor league hockey.

2016 was quite a busy year and boosted morale here in the Buckeye state in the middle of what was a turbulent election season of uncertainty. The aftermath of the election, especially with Ohio being a swing state, left many lost especially with the opioid epidemic in full swing, disillusionment, and empty promises. People wanted an escape from their reality even if it was temporary, something they could look forward to, and that is why Ohio sports and their progress are more important than ever. However, we must be mindful of the implications of sports in our communities.

Cities, counties, townships, and villages across the state have been hurt . Factories and plants are closing. The state is at the center of the opioid epidemic. Many cities deal with gentrification, especially in areas such as Cincinnati, which can be defined as "the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents." In short, money and power come in and people who are impoverished are the victims. Cities, such as Cleveland and Toledo, deal with significant crime rates especially past Memorial Day and into the summer.

With increasing crime rates , gentrification , job insecurity, and the opioid crisis all impacting the state, these factors alone would cause anyone to feel down, feel defeated, and have a negative outlook on life. However, even just a few months into 2018, we can see that sports have made quite the impression and lifted spirits.

Like any movie or television show that you find enjoyable, the same can be said for sports. It's a temporary escape from the tough times that they are experiencing. That is why I want to thank you, Ohio sports teams, for bringing us together especially during times of hardship.

Now, we can joke about the Cleveland Browns going 0-16 or the Cincinnati Bengal being unable to win a playoff game all we want, but the real success is continuing and it's growing. The Cleveland Cavaliers are back in the NBA Finals. FC Cincinnati just became an expansion team for Major League Soccer (MLS). Even though there was much pushback for FC Cincinnati's MLS bid and the risk of increasing gentrification, the amount of support a small team has had in such a short time brought people of different walks of life together and I think that's special.

Now, Ohio sports teams, there is one thing that I think fans and non-sports fans alike can all agree with. Citizens of Ohio should not be forgotten while our governments focus on sports and sports expansion. Take Lebron James for example. Through the program I Promise, Lebron James personally promised to spend "$41M to send kids to college for free" to the University of Akron. Akron, Ohio is seen as a struggling city in Ohio, but starting with the class of 2021, these scholarships will only help children better their lives in the long term.

Athletes and policymakers, please take notice like Lebron James. While appearing at schools and charity events are all fine and dandy, we must use athletics and sports for good. People should not have to move out of their homes because they can't afford to live there because of a new stadium. Long-time residents should not have to lose their jobs simply because their job security was put on the backburner in the policy agenda. We do not need more premature deaths or overdoses because we fail to allocate our resources to helping people with addiction.

For now, I want to take a moment to appreciate how far we've come in a short time. Tourism has increased and people are coming out to games, coming together to support teams and cheer them on regardless of wins and losses, and I think that's a beautiful thing.

Overall, sports and athletics can be a good thing. It can bring jobs, new residents to our communities, expand educational opportunities, and lift people and their morale. However, we must be mindful of what is around us and that we have to put people first. Encourage residents to look into the new jobs being created, develop scholarships for students, and be more involved in your communities. This goes for teams, athletes, and the policymakers in our government. Sports and athletics can bring good. However, we must not leave people behind.

Sincerely,

A loyal Ohio sports fan