To My Parents On Their 25th Anniversary
relationships

To My Parents On Their 25th Anniversary

Thanks for showing me what I hope to get out of my marriage someday.

617
To My Parents On Their 25th Anniversary
Devon Reed

Growing up I never realized just how lucky I was. I grew up with two parents that put not just each other's needs but our family's needs first. I was able to grow alongside one of the strongest relationships I know and from that I learned a lot. I learned a lot about what it means to be understanding, to be able to compromise, & to be able to put somebody else's needs above my own. I was able to see what being in a strong, healthy, & happy relationship looks like, and I now hold the same standards for my own relationships.

Like any family, of course, we faced some bumps in the road, but seeing how my parents worked together and as a team was what got us through them. They heard each other out, and one didn't attempt to overpower the other. They've always been very conscious of the other's feelings which is something I try my best to do in all the situations and conflicts that come my way.

As individuals, I learned from my mom that it is completely okay to be over-emotional and care "too much." She's sat by me through all of my tears and meltdowns over some of the most minor conflicts that I've managed to overanalyze. She would always assure me that everything will find a way of working itself out because the things you care about always find a way. My dad showed me not only that I'm a little stubborn at times, but also that I shouldn't live my life caring what is thought of me. He's always been there to remind me of my worth and reassure me by saying "if anyone loses you, it's their loss." While it takes time to develop, I owe a lot of my confidence to my parents.

Wrapping my mind around being happily married to someone for 25 years is a crazy thought being only 21 years old; imagining spending all of those 21 years of my life and then some with someone is a pretty incredible thought at my age. Its safe to say my parents have set the bar pretty high & I hope to also have an amazing relationship set to last forever as they do.

Thanks for everything and cheers to 25 years!

Devon