To My Friends Protesting

To My Friends Protesting

I'm with you in spirit.
9

To all my friends that are attending or have attending the protests this week: thank you for standing up for our beliefs. I wanted to march in Washington with you but wasn't able to. I truly hope from the bottom of my heart that the next four years are a good four years for our country. For the middle class and those in poverty, I hope our government challenges corruption, fights for women's rights and the right's of minorities, for veteran's and for our education system. There's so many areas in which I hope American becomes great and greatness throughout our history has often stemmed from protests. So keep protesting for change.

But when we protest we must be sure to do it peacefully. The Women's March is a great example of that, but yesterday protests at the Inauguration turned violent. Smashing windows and getting aggressive doesn't help our cause. I know you are angry. But take lessons from Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement. Consciously remain nonviolent regardless of what is going on around you.

I know most of the demonstrations have remained peaceful and that brings me joy, but the aggressive few get a lot of news coverage and only damage the ideas we are trying to fight for.

Stand up for your beliefs and stand up for peace.