To My Crazy Family

To My Crazy Family

I love you all so much, thank you.

183
To My Crazy Family
My cousins and I via Leilah Hovey

To my family, all of whom I treasure dearly, let me just tell you that I love you. All crazier than can be believed but with hearts of gold how can one not help but love you all. We aren't the biggest of families or the smallest we are our own unique group of people who probably never would have glanced at one another again if it weren't for the fact we are bound by blood.

We aren't the most functional group, we have those who always arrive late and those who try and not get together all that much. And that's okay, we all have our faults and our are shining moments, and we bring out the best and the worst in one another in a way anyone not related to us could ever try and do.

Families have traditions, and in our family, those traditions can be a little weird. From birthday spankings to driving lessons with grandma there isn't a right of passage any of us have managed to miss. And I could never forget family dinners with grandma's chili on cool fall nights.

With cousins being raised like siblings, and sometimes all living in one house, we are all as close as can be. And for that, I wish to thank the adults in our life who encouraged our relationships and brought us closer together. Thank you for taking the time to teach my cousins and I how to walk and talk, to play kindly and to love one another.

Thank you to my grandma, for being the other parent and just someone I can go to when I need a hug. Thank you for being there for me, thank you for cold nights with soup and movie dates. Thank you for being what brought me the rest of my family and that has continued to hold us together.

To my aunts, thank you for being both a figure to look up to and a friend to talk to. Thank you for giving me little cousins to love and babysit. And thank you for teaching me life lessons I didn't know I would need.

To my uncles, thank you for being the male figure in my life when I had no other. Thank you for teaching me I deserve the world but also that I need to treat the little people with just the same amount of respect. Thank you for always talking to me like I was an adult and not just the little baby you used to hold in your arms.

To my brother, thank you for being you. There are times I can't stand you, and the same can be said from you about me. We fight, but we also take care of one another, and from going in on gifts together to watching TV late at night after a fast food run. You were technically my first friend and you will probably be my last.

To my cousins, I mean you might as well be my siblings, which means that while I can pick on you just remember if anyone else tries to do the same they'll have me to deal with. I'm so glad to have learned so much from you all, even when I have babysat you and you made me want to pull my hair out.

To my mom's boyfriend, thank you for showing up. Thank you for showing my mom she deserves the world and thank you for making her so happy. I could never call you dad or anything like that, but you are apart of my family now and there is no other way I would have it be. So thank you for our video game and sushi times and thank you for just being another person for me to look up to.

And to my mom thank you for raising me, I know I am difficult and I know I drive you crazy. But really where do you think I got it from? I love you momma and that will never change. Thank you for teaching me how to be strong and independent, thank you for believing in my dreams even when I don't. Thank you for always pushing me and teaching me how to be a good person.

And to my cats, you are just as much apart of my family as the rest. You will always be my babies and my friends. I love all three of you more than life itself.

And so my family, I'd like to say this one more time. Thank you for loving me, even when I was as sarcastic as can be you have all stuck by me and taught me so much. And as I am away at school putting your lessons to use, just know I miss you more than words can describe.