A Letter To My Cousin Who Is Practically My Sister

Thank you for all of the memories that have helped shape me into who I am today.

6351
My Original Image

Cousin,

Being so close in age, we practically grew up together. I don't remember a time during my childhood when I didn't want to be spending time with you. I never once got bored of having you around. We shared the same meals, the same habits, the same clothes, the same toys. You have taught me more than you will ever know and have helped me in more ways than you will ever be able to imagine.

Thank you for not killing me for copying you all of the time. The truth is, just like a little sister, I looked up to you. I saw you as a perfect human (and still do the majority of the time) and wanted to be just like you. Thank you for letting me match you, for letting me buy the same jacket as you for when we went to concerts, and for letting me wear the same sunglasses as you when we auditioned to be in the Oscar Meyer commercial.

Thank you for letting me bang on your piano that our grandparents gave you. I always loved playing on it, and I know it was hard for you to let me since it was so special to you. Thank you for having dance-offs and American Idol concerts with me. Our love of music has always been an important aspect that has brought us closer. Thank you for writing songs with me and for having the same dream as me to become a famous singer.

Thank you for always including me in your friend group. Not once have I ever felt left out when I have been with you and your friends. Likewise, thank you for showing me how to have fun. I realized recently how much fun we have together and I hope that it will never go away. Being with you is honestly one of my favorite parts of life.

Thank you for always doing my hair and makeup for every family gathering or social event. I have always believed that you have a niche for fashion, and I love it when you help me with something I'm not as skilled at. Thank you for taking pictures of me and making me look more beautiful than I ever thought possible.

But most importantly, thank you for teaching me how to be strong. You have always gone with your gut and are slow to change your beliefs. Thank you for teaching me about values, standards, and how to hold my head up high. Thank you for always having your shoulder right next to me when I need to lean or cry on it, even when we're miles apart. Thank you for picking me up and proving to me how great I am. Thank you for encouraging me in everything I do and for showing me how to be proud of what I have done and where I am going.

You have instilled more confidence in me than I can ever repay you for. You have made me sure of myself and have taught me so many life lessons that have helped shape me into the woman I am today. For that, I am eternally grateful.

I love you,

Your little cousin