To My Brother That Is Never There For Me

I don't even know you anymore, I don't think I've ever known you.

6236
Hannah Shaw

I'm always told to bite my tongue and not say how I really feel. It will upset dad, it will upset you, it will piss off this person or that one, well I don't care anymore. I'm grown enough now that I can say what I want and let people know how I really feel. I've held my breath long enough. It's time to expose my feelings, and I don't care who gets mad or offended.

Hey! Remember me? Probably not. I just wanted to type up this thing real quick. I've been noticing everyone thanking you for being such a wonderful brother and father and whatever else. Just wanted to let you know that I think you are a really, really shitty brother. And you really confirmed how I think when you took the time to type up a heartfelt birthday message to a 'sister' you only JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT a couple years ago.

I mean, you have known about me my whole 20 years of existence and I NEVER ONCE got anything like that from you. That doesn’t hurt my feelings or anything, I mean, why would it?

I think it's really funny how you have painted this new, and what I think to be as fake, image of yourself for this new found family we have...or you have. I say that because I have only seen this ‘sister’ of ours once, maybe twice? She isn’t really involved in my or Tasha’s lives, only yours.

Your painting is almost flawless though. This new found family can’t see everything that is hiding under your canvas. I can’t see the hurt you have bestowed upon the rest of your family. They can’t see who you truly are and how you treat your sister.

You weren't there when I graduated high school, you never call on my birthday, you never answer my calls. You really don't care about me, Tasha, or anyone else here in Ohio but Dad. You always answer his calls. You call him all the time so eager to know when the next time you will get to see him will be but never ask about us. You are never excited to see us. You have 5 children that we never get to see. We never know what is going on with them. Tasha has 3 kids and I doubt you ever ask for an update on them. She just had a baby by the way, well almost 6 months ago, and he is adorable.

It’s not like I don’t have a brother though. I have a brother in law that has been more of a brother to me than you ever have. I know you don't like to hear the truth. It sucks when someone can see the flaws in your painting, doesn't it? Are you going to stop talking to me now too? Act like I don't exist? Well, that won't hurt, you've been doing that for YEARS NOW.

I didn't even have a photo of us together to use as a cover photo for this article. I used a photo of me and my family on my graduation day. I really hope you treat the other people in your life a whole hell of a lot better then you have me and my sister and my mother. I do love you and I always will. Somewhere in the depths of my heart is a place just for you that you will always be. But the way I see it at this point in time, the only brother I have ever had committed suicide when I was 9 years old.