To My 'Best Friend' Who Decided That They No Longer Need Me

"We're breaking up."

21

You could've at least had the courtesy to end things.

But instead, I'm stuck just hanging here in some kind of friendship "limbo." Are we friends at all anymore? Acquaintances? Do you hate me? Have I done something to you that I am unaware of? Is there a reason that you, with no regard to how I felt, decided you just didn't need me in your life anymore?

We were good while we lasted; I don't think either of us will deny that.

I'll hold our memories close for my lifetime, but I guess it's safe to say that were over now. Boy, does this sound like a breakup? I guess it is one of sorts, but you made the first move. You, with your seemingly "grown up" life, and the new crowd of friends you have found yourself in the middle of. I guess you made the one-sided decision that we didn't need each other anymore, without even asking for my vote.

I can't be mad at you.

We had a good run, but that is what makes this "friendship break-up" harder. All of the plans that we made for ourselves as kids. Envisioning our weddings, living together, growing up side by side. You were my un-biological sister. But I was warned as a child that these things would happen as I got older, I just never thought that it would be me and you that wouldn't make the cut.

I guess what I truly want is some closure.

We haven't spoken in months, and I can't even remember the last time we had a conversation that actually felt meaningful. Honestly, I guess it's been the end for a long time coming for us. It's probably been for a few years that things have been slowly evaporating between us. I could feel whenever we would hang out that things just were not as they once were, and it wasn't the whole "growing up, busy schedule" thing, because that would've been understandable.

It seemed kind of like a chore to spend time together, something that you were so used to we were just stuck in the rhythm of it. I think we both tried absent-mindedly to fix things but I guess eventually you decided it wasn't worth your effort, but you never really ended things. You just started picking fights, slowly stopped texting/calling, and no more plans to hang out. We are young adults trying to figure our lives out so I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you were busy and I tried to understand. Though I guess if you had really wanted to you would've made the time for me.

You see, I would ask you for a moment of your time but you seem to have found what you were looking for in someone else. I'm not saying I'm not happy for you, I am. You just found in her what you used to find in me, and I'm not sure why it wasn't enough for me, but that's life I guess.

I wonder what it was that made you realize you didn't want me around anymore or that you didn't need me around? Or maybe you thought it was me that didn't need you. I know you changed and so have I, but you morphed into this person that your old friends don't know. We all have our responsibilities, boyfriends, girlfriends and obligations. But somehow you took it differently than me, and I know you have a lot on your plate, so I guess I'm the thing that you had to slide off. We lost each other in the chaos of growing up, and I'm not holding a grudge, but that doesn't mean I'm not a little hurt.

I do miss you and the moments we've shared but I guess if you could end our friendship without the inclusion of myself on that decision, then maybe it's better off this way. I don't wish bad fate upon you, in fact, I wish you all of the happiness and luck that this world has to offer. I would've loved to be there for every stage of your life, like we spoke about as kids, but it seems you've moved on from the stage of your life where you needed my friendship.

And on that note, I say goodbye, my old friend.