Dear Mr. Trump
Politics

Dear Mr. Trump

There are some things I think you should know.

15
Dear Mr. Trump
armstrong economics

Dear Mr. Trump,

Congratulations on being elected the 45th president of the United States of America. I think you surprised a lot of people (myself included) with the win over the former secretary of state, Hillary Clinton; with so little political experience, it truly is a historic win that you've pulled off. I am writing you today, first and foremost, to send you my best wishes in regards to your mission and pledge of being a president for ALL Americans. I was happy to hear in your acceptance speech that this really is so important to you. With that being said, I have some things to relay to you-- some small pieces of advice-- that I hope will be helpful in your presidential endeavors over the next four years.

The first thing I want to let you know, simply for matters of transparency, is that I do not send my best wishes because I care at all about you personally or because I want you to have a pleasurable and satisfying term as president. No, I actually send them only because 1) you need all the help you can get, and 2) because the fate of millions of Americans now lies at least partially in your undeserving hands. While I'm sure you've had a lot of fun gallivanting around the country, spewing your uneducated hate speech and stroking your self-inflated ego, now it's time for you to actually do something of substance.

The second thing you need to know is that the population of citizens that you have vowed to serve actually includes a lot of people who you've very much offended, if not directly threatened, in the last two years. Of the people that call the U.S. home, about 55 million of them are Hispanic and/or Latino and 3.3 million of them are Muslim. That's nearly 60 million people who you've directly insulted and/or threatened and-- guess what-- those are legal citizens of this country whose well-being you have now vowed to stand for and protect. Regardless of what you think you have the power to do, you will not be sending those people away from their homes, their friends, and their families. There is a VERY long list of people who will vigorously oppose you on this matter so I'd suggest realigning your priorities.

Unfortunately, the list of people that you've verbally attacked is not exhausted in those two groups. You've also made numerous harmful comments regarding women. I know I probably don't have to tell you this, but I will anyway: 50.8% of the people in the U.S. are female. I'm aware of your skill with words but I'm not so sure how you do with math so I'll just let you know that that statistic means you have made disgusting, threatening comments towards more than half of the country's population. Regardless of what you think your celebrity status makes acceptable, there's something in this country called women's rights and you'd do well to educate yourself on it. However, if you want to stick with your own theories on what you can freely say or do to a woman, I think there are probably more than a few who would be happy to teach you the lesson the hard way.

I also think you should know that some of your running mate's ideas, namely what he wants to do to the LGBTQIA community, are just ludicrous. This community is one which has had to vigorously defend itself in our country for decades and, I believe, is one of the strongest and most resilient communities now because of it. You don't want your VP starting a fight with the people of this community because he will lose and you will go down with him. Mr. Trump, the year is 2016 and it's been pretty firmly established that folks can love whoever the fuck they want, not just by law but by human right. Please let your running mate know this, he seems to be misinformed.

This brings me to my last point, maybe the most important thing I'll say in this whole letter to you. For the next four years of your being in office you will be fighting a losing battle. The election results may indicate that nearly half of this country agrees with your opinions and values but I don't believe that is accurate. A lot of people who don't support you stayed at home this election, an unfortunate truth but one that we now have to live with. You may have spurred millions of people to action in supporting and voting for you, however you did so with hate, fear, and anger. It may have worked for a short period of time but-- and here's the important part-- it is not sustainable. Many of the values you have preached will be short lived; the human heart and mind do not do well with relentless and unjustified hate-- it is the surest path to self-destruction. You've instilled in people a false fear of various people groups and cultures based on nothing but unfamiliarity. Every day this fear will grow less as we live in a world that is in constant communication; it can only take so long before people actually get to know these groups of people who you've so vehemently spoken out against and scapegoated. When they do, I think many of them will realize just how full of shit you are. You've run an entire presidential campaign by taking advantage of and manipulating the worst (and weakest) of human emotions.

Mr. Trump, you've had your fun and, for a short while, you will be able to enjoy this temporary success. I need you to know that one thing remains constant through history though-- a lesson that has been fought hard to learn but will always be true-- and that is that love always wins. Love is the one thing that will ALWAYS be worth fighting for in this world and that is something that you do not have the power to change. While I wish you the best in your coming presidency, I do so only for the sake of the American people, many of whom are now living with a considerably larger amount of worry and fear in their daily lives because of the hate that you've recklessly spewed through the entire country. I sincerely cannot wait for your inevitable downfall-- in one way or another, love is going to kick your ass.

Yours truly,

One sad and angry American who is prepared to fight

P.S. Climate change is a real issue-- possibly the biggest issue facing the entire world today-- so, if for no one else, remember that you have children and grandchildren who will suffer if you do not begin to acknowledge and work against the damage being done to this planet.