To Bloom Despite Adversity

To Bloom Despite Adversity

Choosing Faith in the Face of Struggle

126
To Bloom Despite Adversity
Courtney Welch

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all." - Mulan

I was reminded of this quote the other day, being the Disney-Classic-lover that I am.

Lately, I've been reflecting on the seasons and how right now, especially in Kentucky, they have been a bit chaotic and unpredictable. Spring is among us, although the weather doesn't know whether or not to agree. Springtime brings rain, but it also brings flowers and abundance of life.

Although it may sound quite cliché, I can't emphasize enough the lessons we learn from looking at nature. I believe God uses nature to teach us about Him, to reveal aspects of ourselves and our relation to Him, and to bring us peace in the midst of chaos.

Winter is not known for blooming flowers or an awakening of life, but there are definitely some flowers, such as Snowdrops, that emerge during a time that is seemingly suffocating and oppressive as opposed to springtime.

All is to say, life can be hard sometimes. And it can be difficult to grasp a sense of understanding or peace in a time of overwhelming stress. But I'm here to remind you that circumstances do not determine one's state of heart or mind. Perspective and gratitude are two of the most important aspects to consider during seasons of hardship. They urge us to cling to our faith and open our eyes to remember that, as one of my professors recently stated, faith is the opposite of control.

So if you're feeling like your life has been out of control or you're afraid of what is to come, it's okay. However, you have a choice. You can choose to try and harness a sense of control within yourself or in a manifestation outside of yourself (which might I add never works out), or you can choose to trust God with your fears and anxieties, following Him with your daily decisions AND thoughts. Your outward actions may say you've got your priorities straight, but don't overlook the impact your mind has on how you feel or what you believe.

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for. It is being certain of what we do not see." - Hebrews 11:1

No matter what's going on around or within you, don't doubt that abundance of life can be found in the face of adversity. When our eyes are fixed on the face of Christ, we can be reminded that we are not alone in times of suffering or uncertainty.