An Open Letter To My Forever Best Friend

Although we are currently thousands of miles apart, our friendship is one that will last forever and I cannot wait until we are reunited!

898
Ethan Williamson

We all have those people in our lives who just get us, who love us despite how weird or utterly crazy we may be sometimes. These are the people that we call for an instant laugh when we are feeling down and want to share all of our wild stories with. For some of us, it is our parents, our husbands, or our boyfriends. For me, though, this person is my lifelong best friend, Caroline Seseri or as I like to call her, "Caro." I would not have wanted to grow up with anyone else in the famous outside of Philly town of Hatfield, PA, and studying abroad this semester in Italy really has me missing my other half a little extra.

Caro,

I still remember the day we met like it was yesterday. It was way back in 8th grade when I was one of the most shy and socially awkward people ever. I was walking down the hallway to my class when I heard this girl say hello to me. Confused as to how I knew her or if I even knew her at all, I said hi back, and I am forever grateful that I did. Little did I know that this simple exchange would lead to me finding my ride or die, my partner in crime, and overall perfect bff all in one.

Slowly, but surely, we grew closer being bonded by our theatre arts and chorus classes. Because of you, I began to break out of my comfort zone. I began to become more confident in the person I was. I had found someone who shared the same sense of humor as me, someone who loved spontaneous weekend trips just to take quality pictures for Instagram, and someone who believed in me when I did not.

Our friendship continued into high school with us becoming even better versions of ourselves. We began to hang out all the time, constantly spending our weekends together exploring Philadelphia and hitting up the local fairs. Gone were the days where I cared about what other people thought of me. I finally felt free to be my full myself because, at the end of the day, I knew that you, my Caro, would always be there for me no matter what. Our Instagram adventures continued, and before long we were the dynamic duo @caroline_seseri and @ej.will. I had found the female version of me, my hype man...the person who would support me, no matter what crazy decisions I made.

At first, it was hard when we decided to attend different colleges. I was worried that I would revert back to my shy self. I was afraid that no one would accept me in the same way that you did. This could not be farther from the truth. You opened me up, and I was ready to share my bubbly side with the world. I began to make a bunch of new friends, and for the first time in my life, I truly felt like I belonged somewhere, all thanks to Penn State. I was so excited when you came up for State Patty's Day. It was the energy that I was missing.

No matter how many people I met at Penn State, no one ever came close to the relationship we have. It's a special type of bond we have—to find someone that genuinely loves photo shoots and Instagram as much as I do (and stays up late to edit them together #royaltyonly), put up with my crazy side, and hate all the same people as I do!!

You're the only person who makes me laugh out loud when I say "lol" or "haha" in a text message! You're the only person that knows everything about me and that I know will never judge me no matter what insane story I tell. You're the only person that will drive all the way to Penn State just to visit me as much as you do. And finally, you're the only person who can instantly put a smile on my face when I'm feeling down.

Distance has nothing on our friendship, and neither does boyfriends or fights or anything really because, in the end, I know that we will always be each other's number ones. You just get me, and as simple as that sounds, it is really hard to find with someone (as I am realizing with abroad haha) and I'm so glad we met when we did. I am counting down the days until we are reunited and we can celebrate your 21st together back in the states. I cannot wait to experience the rest of my life with you, knowing that no matter how far away we are from each other, we always come back to each other in the end.

Your Best Friend,

Ethan (EJ) Williamson