To Anyone That Believes Mental Health Is Remotely Unimportant

Can you tell when your loved ones are truly happy?
767

There are certain feelings and emotions that are so purely and entirely unexplainable to others, no matter how hard one may try. These feelings range from sensations of happiness and euphoria to fatal depressive moods; moods that I can say I have developed myself. I can also say that those who do not obtain these emotions at times can be sympathetic to situations, but are physically unable to understand and ultimately comprehend the mentality and magnitude of these moods.

According to Mental Health, one in ten young people experience extended periods of major depression, and one in every twenty-five Americans have lived with mental illnesses including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. There are various causes and effects of mental health disorders, but many effects result in unremitting suicidal thoughts, or worst case scenario, suicide. Having close and personal ties with people who have attempted suicide, my eyes have really been opened to the severity of the matter.

Many significant people in my life have told me in the past that they have been incredibly depressed. I used to brush it off as if it was a minuscule issue that would secede within a few days or so, and never empathized with anyone until I felt it myself. It is sad, yet very true, that many people cannot decipher the difference between sympathy and empathy, and therefore approach comprehension of the matter but fail.

Society as a whole generally promotes the notion that every being should be in a standard and highly ranked occupation for him or herself in order to maintain a happy lifestyle. We all know the importance of physical health such as physical strength and stamina, oral health including things like cavity prevention and whiter and brighter teeth. But does society understand the importance and severity of mental health? That I am not so sure.

According to the World Health Organization, mental health is defined as,

“state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community”.

That being said, without a full and healthy mental state, it will be hard for any individual to live his or her life to the fullest extent.

The importance of one’s mental health and happiness undoubtedly surpasses anything else in this world and needs to be discerned that way. Mental health is fundamental in our everyday lives and drastically effects one’s occupational productivity, and the relationships and interactions he or she has with others.

In addition, because I was someone once incredibly mentally unstable, I believe that as a society we must value the significance of mental health. We must create a population that regards mental stability as essential, and provide institutions that promote the pursuit of happiness. Statistics show that there numerous dynamics that are influenced by mental health, including one’s self-image, dietary patterns, social group, and exercising habits.

Managing mental health is entirely important because despite some circumstances, no one should be so unhappy to the extent where he or she does not feel that living is important anymore. Help is offered to those in need almost anywhere, so if you or someone you know is struggling with any type of mental disorder, please seek help!