for those who need hope

To Anyone Struggling With Their Mental Health

Suicide is not the answer and should be eliminated as an option

55
grantconnected.net

As I am writing this, it has been 24 hours since the suicide of Kate Spade was announced. Spade was the brain and name behind the widely recognized brand Kate Spade New York. Since the announcement of her suicide, the conversation(s) of mental health and suicide prevention have risen once again. There are many who are outraged by the fact that it took the suicide of a very important figure in the fashion world to bring about the conversation of mental health. Although it is quite sad that it takes a tragedy to have the conversation arise, I believe the important conversation still needs to be had.

Many individuals in society struggle with mental health problems. They struggle with a wide range of issues that go from common disorders like substance abuse to complex disorders like Dissociative Identity Disorder. Many of these people suffer in silence. They allow their problems and disorders to rule their lives and dictate what it is they do. It is awful to think that the people in your life who matter the most may be suffering every single day. It is scary to think that the people around you may be contemplating harming and/or hurting themselves. It is wrong to think that there is no way for you to help.

Methods of suicide prevention are as diverse and as widely ranging as the disorders that push people to suicide. Suicide prevention can be as complex as inpatient treatment to as simple as a conversation. It may sound ridiculous that a conversation can save a life, but it helps. There are so many people who believe that they have no one who wants to listen to them and no one who is willing to help. Of course that is untrue, but many need to see it to believe it. If someone you know seems down or just looks like they need to talk, sit down and listen. That single conversation can fill them with one of the most important feelings that an individual can feel which is hope.

Hope for the future and hope for a better life are essential. Those who choose the wrong answer of suicide lack the basic human need of hope. Suicide is a permanent solution to maintainable problems. Although there is no cure for mental health disorders like anxiety, depression, and other disorders, there are methods to subside their intensity and grasp on one's life. There are ways to make the unhealthy thoughts fall into the background and allow the beauty of life to come to the forefront, but an individual must have a support system and a desire to change. It is possible to live through and survive mental health issues.

There have been friends of mine who have chosen suicide as their answer. There are family members of mine who struggle every single day with mental health issues. I myself have struggled with mental health issues. To my friend who gave up in her battle against depression, I miss you and wish you could see all of the wonderful things that life has had to offer. To my family members who struggle every day with their mental health, please keep fighting and I am always here for you. To myself on my bad days, thank you for never giving up.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with mental health issues here is a number you can call. Please never be ashamed of reaching out for help.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255